Sign in to follow this  
jenny

Cats brought a starling in - HELP PLEASE

I have just found an adult starling in my kitchen that the cats were playing with.... I have warmed it up in my hands for 5mins and tried to let it go three times but it wont fly.

It appears uninjured. I think it was the same one i saw sitting on my fence this afternoon...it seemed lethargic then and its wings appeared a little dropped...dont know if they do this when they are cold????

It flew to tree in garden and i stocked bird feeder up thinking it was hungry but it wouldnt fly onto it, was just pecking at fat from the shrubs underneath.

I have it in a cat box now with some dried mealworms and dish of warm water.. should i try let it go again? It was dark when i tried to let it go last time and its getting cold

Please help

Well done for trying to help :)

You might find some useful advice here? ....

EMERGENCY CARE FOR GARDEN (WILD) BIRDS & FLEDGLINGS©:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/12570-emergency-care-for-garden-wild-birds-fledglings%c2%a9/

(from the forum's INFORMATION TOPICS© section .... https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/22-parrot-link-information-topics/

why not have a stroll around to see what interests you?)

Thanks MMM ive had a look through but most relate to fledglings not adults.... I'm tempted to try let it go again, do you think its too late in day now?

You must not try to let him go in the dark. Just keep him indoors for the night and see if he can fly in the morning, if not best to get him to a local wildlife rescue, not the rspca please.

Thanks for advice, and being so quick, i am on nights tonight and have to leave in 30mins...will leave him covered in cat box in warm room and hope for best....

Hope he will be ok.........just make sure the cats can't get to him.......lol........he is best left on his own anyway, probably in shock. Do you have a fat ball you could crumble in front of him??

Thanks Kleo...am rushing to get ready so cant ring unfortunately.... I have a fat ball, will quickly crumble it up. Im leaving him in bathroom upstairs as cats have run of rest of house and only other room is where Ruby is and dont want to leave it there. Bathroom will be cooler anyway. Will let you know how he is when back from work in morning...fingers crossed

Cats know its in house somewhere and are running round meowing...they are evil sometimes !!!

If a cat has "played" with a bird, if it has broken the skin and saliva has possibly come in contact....

Cats have a Pasteurella type bacteria (Pastuerella multicoda) that can infect a bird..sometimes quickly sometimes a bit slower.

It can kill a bird. People often say it is shock, which it can be.

But the biggest killer is apparently this bacteria.

The route to take if you have a bird that a cat has been in contact with is

GET it to a vet and get antibiotics ASAP.

I do not know what is used these days..it used to be amoxycillin. A bird given one dose of it, inject able. I think it is a long lasting/acting one.

It used to be that one dose injected, would greatly improve the birds chances of recovery. usually a course is needed recommended but the stress to a wild bird well you can imagine.....handling stress etc.

If the injuries aren't too bad then it at least improved the birds chances of recovery...

I do not get involved anymore so do not know what the up to date info is.

Sorry but at least contact a local vet and see if they will help.

Quite a few will treat wild animals for free, but you could offer to pay or make a donation to one of their charity collections.

Good luck.

Food for sick or infant starlings..a cat food that is not fish is acceptable, I used to use an egg food mixed with cat food or hedgehog food.

And any insect or seed they also eat.

But for a poorly or infant the none fish cat food/egg is good

I hope this little one is ok this morning :(

I think he was probably suffering bad shock, if you ever find a wild bird in trouble, you should immediately but it in a dark box, somewhere warm and quiet. The more you handle a wild bird the less its chances of survival sadly as they can dye of shock extremely quickly.

Hope he is ok and at least you tried.

Thanks for the replies, he spent the night in our bathroom in the quiet, and when i took him out this morning he was flying at the grid on the catbox as soon as fresh air hit him...i took lid off and he flew into some nearby bushes... one of his wings didnt look 100% so i followed him round bushes to try pick him up again but he gave me slip and flew off... No sign of him today :D