Sign in to follow this  
andip

missing tail feathers

A couple of weeks ago I found a red tail feather that had come from my 6 month old african grey captain. when I looked there were a few more feathers missing, about 4 or 5 from the middle of his tail, when I looked closer it looks as though they have been snapped off, he has lost no more since although I caught him having a good chew on a grey feather that looked like it was from his back, I havnt noticed any other grey feathers missing and he doesnt seem to be unhappy in any way.

I also noticed when he is preening he seems to be scratching his skin with his beak more than he used too, could this be a sign of mites,

Thanks

It is quite normal for young birds to look scruffy, break tail feathers and so on - nothing to worry about.

It is unlikely that your bird has mites - it could be that a moult is about to happen and the old feathers are slightly irritating him. Increasing showers/spraying really helps

Seems Im worrying over nothing then, I have looked again and he has got a few nes tail feathers growing on top, maybe its this, I do spray him although he doesnt like this, he doesnt scream or anything just flies away, I have tried a shallow bowl with water in and hes not interested in this either at the moment I have to pin his feet for a few seconds to spray him then try again later but I dont like doing this, he loves it straight after and grinds his beak and preens,is there anything else I can do to make him more comfortable when I spray him, also Iv heard that aloe vera plant in the water can help keep thier skin from getting dry, is this advisable, thanks for all your replies.

I do spray him although he doesnt like this, he doesnt scream or anything just flies away,.

I had this problem so eventually resorted to spraying them in the cage. I should think that would be less stressful than pinning his feet down :lol:

I wipe everything down and change the newspaper before they go back in several hours later.

you might find some useful tips here? ....

BATHING/SPRAYING YOUR PARROT©:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/6342-bathingspraying-your-parrot/

(from the forum's INFORMATION TOPICS© section .... https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/22-parrot-link-information-topics/

why not have a stroll around to see what interests you?)

ditto, i spray through the bars because liono [cag] HATES bathing, i've also put aloe in the water spray and it does make a difference, i've stopped spraying him very often because he gets very stressed out, the only time he will attempt to bath is when i'm hoovering and he goes and jumps around in his water dish! i've put bowls of water on the side in the kitchen, taken him up to the shower, put a washing up tub of water in his cage, filled the kitchen sink a little and NOTHING he is just not interested! so spraying through the cage is the best i can do lol :lol: