Sign in to follow this  
rabbitalot30

ringing of parrots?

i have jsut been to my local pet store today and was talking to the lady who does the handrearing of their parrots, and she was saying that we dont have to put rings on them now as they should all be british breed ,can any one tell me diffrent please as i thought that all parrot had to have their own id no etc.

also can you tel me how to let them no in the right words where and how to ring them from young if needed please as i am not the best with wording at time my mouth runs away with me

:?:

i

as i am not the best with wording at time my mouth runs away with me

:?:

Join the club we all like a good chinwag.

Sure one of the breeders will ba able to help you out on your questions :lol:

Parrots do not need to have individual identification by law unless they are a species on the CITES list ....

LISTED ENDANGERED SPECIES (CITES) & 'GIFTED' BIRDS©:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/11053-listed-endangered-species-cites-gifted-birds/

and this will tell you a bit more about why some birds are ringed and how ....

CLOSED RING YEAR COLOURS, WHICH LEG FOR SEXING RINGS ETC©:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/7230-closed-ring-year-colours-which-leg-for-sexing-rings-etc/

and ....

SPLIT RINGS WITH YOUR PHONE NUMBER, MICROCHIPPED ETC©:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/6070-split-rings-with-your-phone-number-microchipped-etc%c2%a9/

many thanks for your help i will be puttinng her in her place and let her have it now, wonder how many other people she has told that too and you would think she should have some knowledge, as she has handreared for years at the shop where she works god it makes my blood boil

got another question who gives out the numbers that are on the rings is it just down to the individual or where the rings come from or do they have to be registered to get the numbers that go on them sorry i don#t want to wag my finger without knowing all the facts ??

thanks for all the help given

I'm not an expert at this but as far as I know there is no central registration of ring numbers or list of who uses what. The PSUK issue a variety of rings (and may keep a list of breeders I don't know) but there is no ruling saying breeders have to get their rings from them as there are other suppliers

many thanks for your help i will be puttinng her in her place and let her have it now, wonder how many other people she has told that too and you would think she should have some knowledge, as she has handreared for years at the shop where she works god it makes my blood boil

Hold your horses. :lol:

Parrots do NOT need to have a ring.

Cites parrots need identification via ring OR microchip or both.

There are many breeders who chose not to ring due to concern that parents may take exception to the ring on a chicks leg which could lead to complications with them trying to remove it or even in some cases abandon the chick.

The above is correct to the best of my knowledge.

Personally I would prefer Harry NOT to be ringed as I am constantly worrying about his ring and hoping it doesnt get caught or too tight, but at the moment I am not preparred to put him under to have it removed.

Jackie if Harry's ring is aluminium it can be removed while he's awake. It would come off with a pair of snips as its a softer metal. He'd probably just suffer the indignity of being wrapped in a towel. :wink:

Parrots do NOT need to have a ring.

Cites parrots need identification via ring OR microchip or both.

There are many breeders who chose not to ring due to concern that parents may take exception to the ring on a chicks leg which could lead to complications with them trying to remove it or even in some cases abandon the chick..

Posted Image

I stopped ringing my babies after loosing a 12 week old baby Eclectus last year, poor little thing got the ring caught up and probably panicked and flapped away and sadly broke its neck.....sadly i didn't hear anything as my dad had died 2 days prior to this and my sleep pattern was all mixed up and i must have been in a deeper sleep than ususal. I have had rings removed from most of my own birds and had them microchipped instead and gradually i will have all rings removed.........risk of accidents i would rather avoid......i have heard of too many birds loosing their lives due too rings getting caught up in toys etc.......... Not one person has ever had an issue with the birds not being rung...

Jackie if Harry's ring is aluminium it can be removed while he's awake. It would come off with a pair of snips as its a softer metal. He'd probably just suffer the indignity of being wrapped in a towel.

Could I do that then?

How would I know if its aluminium?