Sign in to follow this  
Freddie

my tattoo

i have a tigger tattoo that my brother drew for me the tattooist traced it etc and did a blinding job of it, totally unique or so i thought, a woman came into work the other day with my tattoo on her ankle, the tattooist has kept a copy and is selling it :shock:

i am really annoyed as is my brother the woman was really pleased to think it had been hand drawn and who had done it, but i think the shop are wrong to have kept it without permission, i still really love it but thats not the point :cry:

Guest eblimegreen

thats really dishonest of them. im sorry this has happened to you and your brother.

I have just had a look at some sites and all the tattoo sites state copyright for their artists.

What is copyright?

Copyright is the legal right that artists have to determine how their works are used or reproduced.

There are two aspect to copyright;

Firstly, it protects the artist's right against piracy or illicit use.

Secondly, it provides the incentive for artists to create.

Copyright provides additional income for artists derived from the reproduction, adaptation, distribution, performance and display of their own work.

When does copyright apply to a work of art?

As soon as an artist creates a work of art, it is protected by copyright. Artists (or their agents) then have the right to determine how and when a work can be reproduced. Although copyright laws vary from country to country, generally the duration of copyright is 70-75 years after the death of the artist. After this time, the work is no longer under copyright and can be reproduced without additional clearance or fees. Any artwork created by a living artist or an artist deceased fewer than 70 years may be subject to copyright. As such, the artist or their representative must be contacted for copyright clearance and they are entitled to royalties.

If you see an existing tattoo image that you like and decide to use it, even altering it slightly, means that you are in breach of the original artists copyright. It is therefore always advisable to contact the artist and ask permission, often this will be seen as flattery and would not cause a problem, but check first!

Therefore your brother has every right to request his tiger design back from the shop.

I'd get in touch with the tattooist - I know when I make my cards the copyright is mine, if someone else wants to use the designs they have (in theory) to ask my permission to do so.

What are the chances of you seeing the woman with your tatoo, i bet they thought there was no chance you would ever meet.

What a lovely tatoo to have, i really like winnie the pooh and tigger too

might as well put another post on here having just become chatty LOL your tat is very cute, but i can't believe they have put it on other people! that's so naughty!!! i've got simba from the lion king on my shoulder :)

lol it's a bit faded after 11 years but i'll try! i don't like it anymore, had it done at 18 :( out of focus because i'm not a contortionist and it's on my right shoulder blade! but you get the genera idea lol

i've taken the pic off again now tee hee, didn't want it appearing on every post i've written! lol