Sign in to follow this  
Sombra

Poor Ben has had a bad day - BAD OUTCOME

I was changing water pots last night when I noticed Ben one of our cockatiels was covered in blood all over the left side of his face. I checked his cage and could see absolutely no reason for him to have hurt himself and I knew there would have been no fights as the birds all get along in there very well. He looked really poorly, just sitting stiff and still with his eyes shut. I tried to check him but he wouldn't let me touch his face to check him so I left him to be quiet and did all the usual first aid stuff as it was too late to get to the vets.

This morning he was just the same so we managed to get him in at the vets. My daughter had to take him as I had to be at work very early and they made enough fuss about me having a day off to take my daughter to the docs a few weeks ago when she got diagnosed with appendicitis let alone to take a bird to the vets!

When she got him there he wouldn't let the vet touch him either (luckily he is not a biter but can move quite quickly if he wants to) so they decided to put him under so they could look at him and clean it all up.

We were quite worried about the anaesthetic but thankfully he came through it ok. They found he had a severe ear infection so clipped his feathers around the area, took a swab and then cleaned it all up.

He is home now and still looks very sorry for himself but I think slightly more lively even despite his little op.

I've got some eardrops to give him twice a day (that will be fun!) and he has to go back in a week.

Poor little chap my heart goes out to him but hopefully he will be on the mend very soon

oh dear!!!! poor little Ben :( hope he is much better very soon the poor little guy, hopefully his meds will kick in soon and he'll feel a bit happier! also hope your daughter is well again now!

Guest eblimegreen

poor little man. hope he gets better really soon. sending you both hugs xxxxxxxx

Thanks for your good wishes everyone :)

He's still very quiet but at least he's on a top perch and has his eyes open tonight. I just gave him his first drops and got them in quite easily. I don' t think it'll last when he feels more himself. :lol:

It was rather a shock finding him like that last night. He hadn't given me an inkling he wasn't well. I wondered what the hell had happened to him. :shock:

P.s daughter is fine now! :D

poor baby :cry:

I hope he is back to his old self soon.

Give him a kiss from me when you do his ear in the morning.xxx

He's a bit brighter again today and has been preening a bit but still quite weak. I haven't seen him eat yet but he has been drinking. Hopefully today he will feel up to a bit of food. He hasn't got any painkillers but they may have given him something while he was at the vets yesterday as he seems in less pain. A bit more wriggly at ear drop time though!

I have just given Ben his eardrops. I have had a look at the ingredients and they are an antibiotic, an anti fungal and a steroid which will help reduce inflammation in his ear and are a kind of painkiller. He still continues to improve and tried to get away just now when I went to grab him from his cage. I think it will be a few days though before he is back to normal. My daughter said she saw him eating a bit today as well. All good

Oh...... and June I gave him your kiss :)

I got up this morning and Ben is much worse. His balance seems affected and he is holding his head over to one side. I think his inner ear is affected now. Vets at 11am but it's not looking good I'm afraid. :(