Sign in to follow this  
nia

calling breeders (advice bird not out of cage since Nov)

hi,

1st of all thi smay be in the wrong section(sorry if it is).OK now to the reason behind my post.MY exes parents bought a grey sometime november-ish from apparently "1 of the top breeders in the UK".He(the ex) was at mine today and was nervous about my 2 flying around him and landing on him.This got me questioning his contact with his parents bird as mine are obviously a lot smaller than theirs.He has told me there's has been out of its cage once since them getting it.This apparently is the advice on the breeder because she bites!!Am I right in thinking that no breeder in their right mind would advise this?She apparently is even in the cage while it's being cleaned.I am a little worried about her emotionally to be honest.I don't know any details on her breeder or even if they are being honest about the breeder telling them to leave her in the cage.They are ppl who detest animals in the house-never had a house pet except a hamster and fish.They only decided to buy a bird because they looked after a friends while she went away for a few weeks and liked the fact it would talk and mimic to perfection etc.I know this is a bit of a pointless post as there's nothing can be done about it but just wanted to get some input/advice for me to start talking the ex into convincing his parents to let this poor bird do what comes naturally and fly!

its not nice for the birdie there is a couple near me in there 70,s did exact same thing i tried convincing them otherwise but they wont listen first time the grey came out of its cage was to go to the vets cause it p[lucked akk its feathers out then it was straight back in the cage its a real shame

I do not know what relationship you have with "ex" but obviously you have some communications open there ?....Not my business....

If they have access to the internet get him to point them to a forum...

:) or some information as to how birds are in these "modern" times, are acceptably kept. and the nurturing of a companion parrot.

Or buy a book that is up to date, there are a good few , maybe someone here can recommend a couple of titles that would help with the general modern husbandry of keeping a pet, and a good behavioural one to help them.

Buy them or get boyfriend to buy them as a present, and make sure they read and use them. It is a start.

I hope someone can come up with some good title suggestions for you.

Anyone?

Net made very good and poignant point!

sorry have to laugh ...who said the breeder was

"1 of the top breeders in the UK".

?

I know you did not say it :wink: :)

I hope that you can pass on the info and make a better life for the bird

Good Luck.

Guest eblimegreen

when we got our Jasper he had only been let out of his age for a handful of times in all his 22 years. his owners were quite elderly (the reason he actually came to us is because his owner sadly died and his wife couldnt look after him anymore, clean him out etc). he now loves nothing better than being out of his cage (his old one was soooooo small you could only keep about 2 budgies in it) so now he shares a huge cage with PoPo and he spends all day out playing on his playstand and flying. he is a completly different bird, even his previous owners' wife said so when she came for lunch.

i really do hope they will let the bird out, it is hard to convince someone othierwise though....you are doing a great job in trying though

When i re homed Charlie it was from an elderly couple who could no longer cope with him, he was only let out of his cage for an hour twice a week as they had been told if he was out more than that he would go wild again!!.

He was also fed on a diet of Wilkinsons parrot bars 3 a week, pea pods and his favourite food ..... chips! maybe that is why he doesnt like me coz i upset his diet and excercise plan lol

Hi,

I have spoken to the ex(we have a good friendship as we share 5 kids!)I've told him that their bird will eventually start plucking if it is not let out soon.BUt his parents are in their 60's,very set in their ways and of the opinion theirs is the ONLY way to do anything! I am hoping that by the ex seeing how mine are when out of their cage etc it will encourage him to try talking his parents round.I haven't spoken to them in 2 years or would do it myself! I suppose all I can do now is let him see how content etc mine are when he's visiting the kids and hope that he can talk some sense into them.I do think the bird gets a fair amount of attention as they are not the "neglect" type and the bird is talking etc.I think it's just they don't know how to handle her biting/nipping and need to see they are doing the bird wrong by ignoring the problem and keeping her in the cage.Hopefully the ex will be able to help with that seeing as they are clearly not looking elsewhere for advice/guidance.

Just thought I would through a spanner in the works here, Harry my cag, is free to come and go from his cage but he chooses not too, no matter how much you encourage him he doesnt like it, and prefers the security of his own cage as such, I personally hate this and would love to see him come out and fly but 99% of the time on the very rare occassion he does, he will only sit on my shoulder for a split second before he goes back in .......

Good point Harrys Mummy My sennie is like this too - however at least we are giving our birds (hopefully) the best we can and offering the freedom and encouraging them to do so - some people get too frightened of "what might" happen when the bird is released from the cage and therefore don't.

At lease the grey in question doesn't sound too traumitised by it all - why don't you give him this website so either him or his parents could do a little research and maybe realise themselves what they could do differently?

x