Sign in to follow this  
redlored.rambo

Questions about Parrots and the Tube and London Taxi's

Hello - I am planning a trip by car to London (from Scotland) soon and will be taking my parrots with me. Once in London I want to visit friends (with the girls) near Hammersmith (travelling from Highgate area). My first question is can parrots go on the tube? And if so, is it safe for them to do so and does anyone have experience taking parrots on the tube - is there anything I need to know about taking parrots on the tube? If the tube is out of the question what about taking parrots in a taxi? I do not wish to drive from H'gate to H'smith myself unless absolutely necessary (would probably end up lost or pay a fortune for congestion charges). I know I can take them on the train but have not investigated the train situation between H'gate and H'smith. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :lol:

Kind regards

Rhonda

Hi, its gets really really busy, noisy, cold and loud down there! It might freak your parrot out a bit. If your travelling rush hour, be prepared for being pushed and shoved, and being crammed into the trains like sardines. Personally i wouldnt do tube with a parrot in tow! joel

I agree with Joel. The tube is a complete nightmare, esp in the rush hour , guaranteed to shred the nerves of the calmest of people; lord knows how it would affect a parrot.

Taxi's should be OK , though never taken a parrot in one myself !.

Should warn you; if you do decide to go everywhere by taxi you may need to re-mortgage your house .............. I had to take a taxi from Golders Green to Wimbledon last week and it cost £50 !!!!!!!!!!

I live in London and avoid the tube like the plague. Seriously i would say no no to taking your parrot on the tube. From Highgate to Hammersmith you may just miss the congestion. You can take the A406 as far as Ealing, leave your car at my place and take a taxi the rest of the journey, just 15 minutes away.

Thanks again for the helpful advice - I thought the Taxi might be pricey - not sure I want to remortgage my house for a wee trip - It is really nice to be able to ask questions and get advice...very helpful. I think I will give the tube a miss.

Yer i always avoid the tube. Everytime ive ever taken the tube i get sick afterwards :shock: I avoid it as much as possible.

If a taxi is too pricey - what about the bus?

No, but as long as its not rush-hour you should be ok.

ive seen people have pets in travel carriers before. You could try ringing London Transport to double check.

I doubt if there is a straight bus route for that journey and changing buses and standing at bus stops may be too much for your parrot and too cold. Another option is you leave your parrot and the car here, go to Hammersmith on the tube and collect both on your way back.

Personally I'd drive - London drivers are much more courteous than those in Glasgow and the traffic light changes much faster!

Highgate to Hammersmith by car is pretty easy, all main roads - allow 30 minutes, 45 in rush hour. The route below stays out of congestion charge:

Drive south through Camden [where I live!] (a straight line more or less from Highgate) and turn right onto Euston Rd, this becomes Marylebone Rd and then it's the A40 (Westway) elevated, no turns required.

Take the exit off the elevated road for Hammersmith/Westfield and then head to Shepherds Bush, keeping towards the left lane to turn left to Hammersmith. Look at it on a map and you'll see it's straightforward. London is well signposted too, unlike Scotland (I lived in Scotland last year so I do know!).

I can suggest these bus routes - I never use the tube as it's smelly and depressing!

The 390 goes from Archway (just down the hill from Highgate) to Notting Hill Gate and the 10 continues the route to Hammersmith.

A better option (depending where you are in Highgate) would be to take the 214 from Highgate Hill to Kings Cross and get on the 10 there as it commences there so you'd get seats on both buses. Oyster cards are the cheapest way to pay - buses are capped at the daily pass rate so £3.80 is all you'll pay for the date on Oyster regardless of how many buses you catch - the cash fare is £2, kids are free though check the details with TfL , they may need ID.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/kingscross-2150.pdf shows the 214/10 options

However you may need to check if parrots can go on the bus - dogs and baby strollers are up to the discretion of the driver, so car may be the only option.

Romy thank you for your excellent directions et cetera - I have printed them off and shall take them with me. I plan to go to Camden Town to buy earrings while I am in London - went there a couple of years ago and got some really nice ones from one of the stalls - I hope the stall is still there.

Sharongooner - thanks for your comments as well - like your Arsenal picture - I am going to my first Arsenal game on Tuesday - the people I stay with in Highgate have season tickets..

Thanks to everyone for all your comments and helpful advice - we are travelling down on Sunday and looking forward to the journey.

Regards