Sign in to follow this  
nia

letting them out for the 1st time

hiya.I need a bit of advice(well as much as poss really lol) on letting them out for the 1st time.They are both flying from 1 end of the cage to the other and from the bottom to the top of it so I think they are getting ready for their 1st taste of freedom in the house!

But I am a little worried on how I am going to get them back in their cage when it's time!I don't want to be chasing them around like a mad-woman and I don't want to be throwing towels over them unless I really must.They have both been out for a cuddle already but I had my hand gently touching them ready to take a hold if they decided to try flying off-which they never.Lizzie will step onto my finger and Gizmo will let me hold him but won't step-up.Any advice greatly appreciated!

I can't really help but didn't want to ignore your post...

In my experience I had Poppy (tiel) as a baby but don't really remember how the first time out went. I tamed her down super quickly in about half hour and I don't remember whether she used to fly away from me etc. I think she was quite shy so she learnt step ups quite quickly. I think the first few times out were me holding her so she associated me with freedom.

Limey (OWA) was 15 when I got him and to be honest used to try and bite my hand when I wanted to pick him up and when he bit and I didn't react this made him fly off. It was a battle of will about who would win. Eventually he submitted...and went to bed. At first he refused the hand and would fly in to his cage by himself but ultimately I wanted to be able to put him to bed and this now works.

My other tiel is 13 years old and only just learning to fly (i got him 6 months ago) so he's not hard to get back, lol!

so perhaps practise step ups with them and make sure that you are really interesting to come back to. High pitched enthusiastic voice so they *must* come and see how exciting you are!

Again, sorry can't be much help...I only got Poppy 18 months ago and I've forgotten how it all happened already!

When I first got my 2, they were still quite young and didn't actually have the strength to fly very far. They could only just make it half the length of my living room. So it was pretty much a case of waiting for them to land somewhere and then picking them up. I must say that having a stick handy helps as if they decide they want to bite, the stick gets the beaking! But I didn't have to chase them around anyway, because most of the time they wanted to land on me or my husband or daughter.

Ooh, just in case, it's a good idea to make sure you've got net curtains over your windows, and if not then shut your curtains. They probably won't understand windows.

thnx for the replies.I'm a bit more relaxed about the whole idea now I know yours didn't fly far at 1st!I think what I will do is let them out for an hour before their bed time in the hope they will be a little tired too so will be less likely to fly around the room like mad things lol.I know it's only an hour but I'd thought it'd be better to build their time up slowly

My two conures are rescues but they learn really quickly. When i say 'in the cage' Lil Luis jumps on my shoulder or flies straight in his cage. Jack flies onto my head - but he normally does a lap or two round the room before he goes in :roll:

I think you'll find that they will learn really quickly :D

Aqua and Jinpei won't put themselves back in the cage, although they go in for food and drink. When it's time for me to put them in, I say "Go home", and then they'll let me put them in without climbing back out again. Before using the phrase, I'd be putting 1 bird in and the other bird would be climbing straight out while I did it - you can imagine it'd take quite a long time to get them both in the cage so I could shut the door! Now, they stay once I've put them in, and they have their treat, and it all goes much more smoothly.

Ah the stick! I forgot about this!

I still use a walking stick for poppy to step on when she is up high and I can't reach her. She is so used to it she gladly steps on it and knows it's secure. I don't use the stick with the Big Bird as he totally freaks out! But soon he will have stick too, mwah ha ha ha ha :lol:

Guest eblimegreen

PoPo steps up so thats all good but Jasper doesnt. when its time for him to go back we put his favourite toy or nut in his snuggle tent and he goes in to get it or a cardboard box he loves them.

do they seem to like any thing like that?

I always put fresh food in before they go home and this usually helps as they are hungry when they've been out for a while. Macie was a bit reluctant to go home at first but I would entice her in with a grape put in her cage in view but out of reach unless she climbed in. It seems to work.

the first three or four days i had tiki she just wanted to snuggle up under my neck when she came out so that made her bond with me and she has always stepped onto my hand readily so when she has to go back in i put my other hand over her back so she can't fly off and just put her near her fresh food bowl and the lure of the food is too much for her so she steps off