Sign in to follow this  
Greenwingmax

Can you offer too much freedom?

Hi all,

As many know we emigrated to Canada in the summer, and our routine is only now settling down properly.

Before we moved, we both worked full time so hubby constructed a 2mx4m indoor aviary for the macaws. I would get all the parrots up (2 greenwings, grey and 2 senegals) in the morning, play with them, put one macaw in the aviary and go to work. Hubby came home every lunch time, got everyone out for a flap and swapped the macaws, so the other one was in the aviary.

I came home around 5pm and then everyone was up until 8.30ish playing. They had time out in the mornings aswell every weekend. This was the routine for about three years.

SO here, because we are both at home, the macaws are let out first thing and are on the top of their cage or on one of their play stands all day long. But they are driving us mad - they have become really noisy, and the more "loves" they get every day, the longer they are demanding our attention.

Blue now goes crazy if she has to go in her cage in the daytime (it is one of those really huge ones, makes it look like we have two budgies in it !!)So we have started to go out in relay in the most part, which is ridiculous!! New friends laugh when they here about how a macaw is dictating our life.

SO my question is, is there such a thing as too much freedom? I want to move them to a huge room upstairs, so that in the daytime they are not seeing us all day and (hopefully) they will settle. But then, I don't trust Blue - she climbs on the little birds cages, often opening their cages and letting them out, or trying to peck them through the bars. What should I do!!!!!

A very nearly deaf :shock:

Rachel

Hi Rachel,

I have a macaw bird room where the macaws all live out 24/7, they all have there own cage in there to retreat to if they wish (they dont, they just use the cage to sit and sleep on) there are ropes and toys and two feed bowls and two water bowls for each bird.

I go in and out during the day and give cuddles and we have sing along time :lol: but for the most part they play,rest etc as a small flock,

I do have the door replaced with a door made of cage wire and a window I can see in at all times.

Could you put your macaws in a "bird room together and they smaller birds in another room,

Mine only shout now and then between themselves and for 5 mins before bed time.

xxx

June,

What do you do if you have to leave the house though? Do they still stay out? I worry that mine, especially Blue who likes to climb down onto the floor and "wander" will get into trouble if I leave them out and unattended when I go out?

Thanks in advance!

Rachel

Hi Rachel

I have all my birds in a bird room, they are out most of the day, infact all day, unless i have visitors, when i prefer the birds caged for their own safety. They hang out on ropes and stands and tops of their cages and go in the cages to eat. My bird room has nothing dangerous for the birds, really not sure what to suggest to you. I always find routine works with birds.

Hi Rachel,

Mine do stay out as they can also go out into an aviary, but they all have cages and if needed could/would go in them. :lol:

Hi all.

Sorry if this is a little off topic, but how much 'free' time do you recommend you should give the average parrot?

I've read 4-6 hours, does that sound about right?

MTIA, Sam

Mine spend a MINIMUM of five hours a day out of their cage and in the same room as me. I'm lucky to be able to do that because I either work a split-shift or only work until midday so I always have several hours free in the afternoon.

On days when I'm not working in the evening they are out for about eight hours.

Every day before I leave for work I make sure they come out for a short play.

It's usually only half an hour but that's long enough for them to stretch their wings and gives me time to change the newspaper in their cage and wash and replenish their four bowls in their cage.

At weekends they are out for pretty much the whole day from morning til night, either at my house or at my boyfriend's.

I appreciate not everyone can do this due to working different hours but I personally wouldn't like them to be out for any less than the times I've stated. But I just LOVE to have them out and in the same room as me as I love to watch them. They fascinate me!

I like to think they have a good life with me :)

By the way, I only know about Greys :wink:

Mine have their own room and are all out all day every day. If we are going to be out for the entire day I may leave them in their cages, but then they sulk for ages. My birdroom is totally safe so they can't get to cables etc, but they have chewed off all the coving, eaten a fair bit of the window frame and are now starting on the skirting boards :roll:

you can definitely give a bird too much freedom. I would love to find my story on here from a few years ago , I gave my two farrrrrrr too much freedom and they became almost uncontrollable and took a good year to get into some sort of routine.

I leave the cages open for my birds (who evers turn it is to be out) but mine often put themselves back in their cages after a while, Charlie even shuts the door behind him lol. So the freedom is available to them but they will not always use it.