Sign in to follow this  
nia

pull-out tray

ok my 9 month old has worked out how to pull open the tray on my cage!Obv at the mo it isn't an issue as there's nothing in it but i'm wondering if there's any suggestions on how I can child-proof it safely?

Not that I can think of. The danger is that your little one could pull the cage over which could hurt him or the birds. You'll have to watch him I suppose and keep him away from the cage. The other danger is of course to inquisitive little fingers. They don't mix with beaks!

his fingers are safe-there's a grid between birds and tray.the problem i have is he is using it to stand against and as he has a physical disability in his left foot i dont want to pull him away from things when he does stand as he needs all the encouragement and practice he can get.the bottom 6 rungs of the cage are covered with perspex on the outside and he cant reach the top of it yet so his fingers are safe there too.

You definately need to teach him that the cage is out of bounds not only for his safety but for your babies too, they are going to be nervous when you get them home and the tray being pulled in and out is going to scare them.

you could try drilling a hole and padlocking the tray its hard to tell without seeing the cage, and what alterations you could do, cable ties are great you can buy them in bulk but you would have to watch the birds for chewing and using new ones everytime you clean the tray that might be a bit time comsuming, it may not be everyones great idea of fixing the cage to the wall but we have had to for safety reasons for both the bird and the boys of course when it needs a good jet wash it can be unfastened,, my boys really are good with our grey despite been autistic but i aways have to be 2 steps ahead, isnt there another room where the bird can live of which a safety gate can be put up till your little boy gets a bit older and understands more its only natural for him to be curious, saying that my oldest wouldnt care if there was a tiger in a cage in the lounge as long as he could watch tv as thats his autistic obbession rewinding the same thing over and over again .