Sign in to follow this  
mgaffz

Parrots yawning?

Both of our little senegals often yawn when your looking at them and then if you yawn back they do it back, this can go on for 5 minutes or so.

We were just wondering if there was any meaning behind it or are they simply copying or interacting with us?

Actually the more you do it the more the birds yawning gets exagerated and they even start stretching thier necks up to do the biggest yawn lol

cheers mick

Both Mojo and Shinda yawn when they're tired. They also yawn and do lots of neck-stretching if they've got a feather caught at the back of their mouths!

I haven't tried yawning at them, maybe I will! Although I think a wide open mouth may be seen as threatening body language so perhaps I won't! :shock: :lol:

All of mine yawn, my two sennies included. I presume it is because I am boring them :lol:

Rachel

lol, had'nt thought of that!

They only do it when its quiet and they're relaxed its just weird cos they will keep copying you until your mouth gets tired lol.

mick

ours do it, the conures when you scratch behind their ears, and our cag whenever we yawn, he makes huge sleepy noises too just like us, i'll have to get him on video one of these days :) yawning is so incredibly cute!