Sign in to follow this  
joel

Terrible Two's???

Hi all. I have read lots of articles and posts about the terrible 2s, to try and prepare myself for when Jasper my Jardines parrot reached that time in his life. But nothing could have prepared me for this...!!!!!

Jasper must be around 14 months old, and up to now has been a wonderful loving little bird. This week he has turned! Lunging at me, biting me so hard...there has been blood and bones clicking in my fingers under the pressure of his beak! He also seems really "wired", and is extremly unpredictable-one minute cuddling under my chin, the next-trying to bite my finger off!

I cant think of anything that is being done differently in my approach to him or his routine that would provoke him.

I can only guess this could be the start of the terrible 2s? Does anyone have any advice? I try so hard not to flinch when he goes for me, but it hurts so much! My right hand looks like i have been repotting cactus for a living! I have also tried to spend more time doing the "step ups" when he is calmer in the mornings but this doesnt seem to be helping.

Whats the best way forward? Are these signs of the terrible 2s??? Please help!!!! Joel

Sounds like it! It will pass.... One tip is to read his body language, there is usually a warning of some kind. My older caique flashes her eyes and goes 'fluffy pants' (that may be unique to caiques of course :wink: ) But there is a warning but some of them are quite subtle.

Thanks for the tip, I will study him. I took him over to my Godmothers yesterday with me for a day out. He was as good as gold, I couldn't believe it! Butter wouldn't melt........!!!

Thanks for the tip, I will study him. I took him over to my Godmothers yesterday with me for a day out. He was as good as gold, I couldn't believe it! Butter wouldn't melt........!!!

That's parrots all over just have to love them no matter what they do.

OK. The biting is still occuring, and my hand is now quite badly scared, with new wounds appearing every other day! Any more suggestions? How long will this last???

Yes put him back in his cage as soon as he attempts to bite. and each and every time.

Do not talk to him just take him gently but firmly back to him cage put him in, close the door turn around (without a word) and walk away, come back a few mins later and get him out........if he goes to bite again........put him back in the cage you will need to do this until he works out that a bite means he is put away and you do not want to be near him.

Its no good shouting no at him as that will sound like you want to play biting games more :lol:

thanks for the advice jebirds. i have done this on occasion when he has been really bad, but will start doing it as a routine to be consistent, and will report of my progress.

I've had this with one of my green cheeked conures, for a couple of months he turned into the devil himself, seriously bit chunks out of everyone including my daughters face she was lucky it wasn't her eye! and would attack us if we went near his food and water, it took weeks to pass and even now he's a little nippy but i put it down to hormones and breeding season as suggested by his breeder, he was trying it on non stop with poor johnny five [another of our conures] seems to have settled now so maybe it could be a similar thing with yours? hope he settles soon and don't lose hope,he'll turn the corner, just not nice waiting for it to happen!!! also if you pick him up by his body normally try to just get him to step up instead, it's a pain if you want to get them into the cage quickly but i found that snarf improved with the biting when we'd done this for a while, he just doesn't like hands any more which is suprising as when he was a baby he loved to be cupped in hands for hours! they are funny fickle things!

ok, the back in the cage thing seems to be working slowly but surely. im sure i am starting to see improvements. he has started to cotton on though, and will take a chunk out of my hand, then fly straight off. i go to make him step up, and then he lurches. should i just walk away, or brave the pain, get him to step up, then put him back in? or does that teach him that stepping up leads to going back in? thank you for the advice. have tried to upload a photo so you can see the offender, but cant get it to work. joel

i know there will be someone a lot more experienced than me along to answer you but could you not use a stick/perch for him to step up onto just when he's bitten you?

I have a Caique that bites terribly and i have been to the hospital for stitches 3 times because of him, i have tried putting him back in his cage everytime he bites but he is wise to this now and just keeps biting all the way back to his cage and will not let go with his beak when we get to the cage. We now move him with a perch and a towel over our hands, his trick now??? go for the face!!!

hi joel, good advice about the stick, you could also try putting him back in the cage when he's hungry and put something he likes to eat in there, or reward him with something if you get him in without the bite? it's hard to change their behaviour but it can be done, i'm sure not with every bird [poor sue and caique! x] just keep trying, can you remember any incident before he suddenly changed that might be to blame? oh also get him to step up for you as often as you can for a while, maybe take him out of the room with you and not only use stepping up for putting him back in his cage, i made a point of taking snarf back into the kitchen or up to the bathroom on my finger and then praising that with turning the tap on in the sink and letting him have a shower lol his favourite thing to do! don't worry he'll hopefully catch on soon if you're consistent!

i cant remember any incident, but i do remember one of the ladies that worked for the lady i got him from kept flicking his beak when he was nibbling her (as they do when they are young). i wonder if this made him wary of hands. he never used to be like this with me though, which is why i thought it might be the 2s thing. do you guys think a parrot behaviourist would be a good thing to invest in, or a waste of money?