Sign in to follow this  
superhannahmarie

New - Help me chose my first parrot. (superhannahmarie)

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some advice from experienced keepers about chosing the most suitable parrot for us.

The parrot will be mine although I expect there will be a fair amount of interaction with my fiance as well. I have kept smaller birds in the past (budgies, celestials etc) and at the moment have a noisy but gorgeous PF lovebird. I have been thinking about getting a small parrot for about 8 months, but want to be 100% sure before I bring a bird home that it will be suitable and more importantly, that we are able to fulfil its needs and provide a permanant happy home.

The bird I'm looking for;-

Not too big, ideally somewhere between a cocketeil and amazon.

Not too loud - certainly not much louder than our screachy lovebird anyway as we live in a flat with neighbours above and below.

Generally docile, tameable and affectionate - I want to be able to cuddle up and play with him/her.

Not going to tear the place to bits, as although our landlord is very tolerant of our pets, he probably wouldn't appreciate having to replace all the doorframes, cupboard doors etc.

Wont get upset if we are out at work during the daytime and is left with plenty of toys etc - usually 8am-5pm. (This shouldn't be too much of an issue in the first year as I will be working from home on my Masters dissertation)

Will cost up to £250 ish for a hand-tame bird.

This may seem like a tall order / too perfect but I really don't want to bite off more than I can chew and end up adding to the problem of birds in rescue centres because their owners couldn't cope. I have been doing a lot of reading up and think that some suitable species would be -

- Blue headed Pionus

- Green Cheek Conure

- Celestial Parrotlet - not sure how affectionate/intelligent these are likely to be as pets. I had a pair in the past but they were untame avairy birds.

All of your advice and suggestions are very welcome!

Posted Image

to the Parroty Place, Ssuperhannahmarie. Loads to share, learn and enjoy Posted Image

You'll notice many of us have a photobucket link under our posts - Below is an easy how-to on setting pics and/or vids up to share with us all:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/index.php?topic=26851.0

Can I recommend you have a look through our section of Information Topics©?:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/22-parrot-link-information-topics/

Also a variety of topics you may like to wander through:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/6216-welcome-info-pack%c2%a9/

Please, feel free to ask anything you would like more info about or hear others experiences of. We are proud of our friendliness and sense of community and welcome all who join us whether an experienced parrot keeper, breeder, hobbyist, one-bird owner or researching parrots as a possible addition to your life

Posted Image

Well done you for researching first. You may find the link below and the threads it links to useful? ....

WHICH PARROT/WHAT TYPE/WHAT'S BEST FOR ME?©:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/index.php?topic=13990.0

~waves~

I would say your needs could well be met by a Green Cheeked Conure - and for your budget you might get two birds for that price. That way they'd be company for each other while you are out.

Hiya and Welcome!

I would have to recommend a Senegal Parrot. They are very affectionate and very comical little birds. They don't tend to make an awful lot of noise, and are not destructive. Well mine isn't anyway! She loves cuddles, and gives 'kisses'. She loves both me and my husband, well just about everyone! Apart from my sister lol I paid £275 for my Bailey with her cage. I think that was quite a good price to be honest, as i have seen them for that on their own.

I work 9-5 mon-fri and she is quite happy whilst i am out. She has a grey neighbouring her, so i think they keep each other company.

This is my boo-bear...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hehe...she has a thing for ears!

Posted Image

Posted Image

:D

id consider a sennie mine is not at all noisy (she wolf whistles andtalks in the morning and evening apart from that just the odd noise). They are such acrobats and she is a hand reared bird so just loves being out with us. Can be tempted to chew the ceiling or door frames though so i have to watch her but any bird will be tempted to have a chew (even my budgies do if i don't watch them), But any bird should be supervised while out anyway.

Han great pics of bailey

Hehe thanks Kazz :) How old is your Sennie? Mine was born in January, and she hasn't really picked any words up yet. She doesn't whistle yet either. She did however pick up my sisters text message alert when she house sat for us when we went on our honeymoon, but she doesn't do it anymore.

Does yours speak?

Superhannahmarie...what parrots do you like out of the ones you think would be most suitable? Maybe see if any of us lot live near by you and meet some? I'm sure some of the members on here wouldn't mind. I certainly wouldn't!

My little Sennie, Titch-Moth, sometimes says a very quiet but clear "Hello" and is also a terror for earlobes Posted Image

I think that must be a Sennie trait, Roz! :lol:

Hi Superhannahmarie, me and my partner would also recommend the Senegal Parrot. We were in the same position as you 14 months ago and ended up choosing the Senegal, our friend had one that we went round to see but then we also went to a parrot breeder and had a look at a lot of the smaller bird species , but still plumped for the Senegal. When the bird was old enough to collect we went up and came away with two! They were the only two in the clutch and we couldn't bear to split them up, they were just so adorable. Haven't looked back since and they now whistle along with us, blow kisses and laugh whenever we do, i'm sure i've heard Tam say 'Hello' too but he's just practising at the minute :D

Hi mgaffz lovely pics are you sure there cage is big enough :lol:

I know. Well it wasn't meant to be that big, we did just used to have a large Miami cage with both of them in it, but as they got a little older they started to fight with each other and pull each others feathers out so we had to split them. But because they were use to a big cage we thought we should let them have the same space seperately (divider in the middle), so we chose that huge thing, it takes up all of our living room lol, but they worth it. :lol: