Sign in to follow this  
Harry's Mummy

Introducing.......

Well after a lot of soul searching I decided that our new addition, is no different to having a rabbit in a hutch, birds in aviarys, or keeping parrots....and some may even say dogs......and when I first saw these being breed a year or so ago I wasnt impressed, but as I figured what's the difference in any of the above I already have :?:

However this new addition is something that I am well known for adoring, and anyone that knows me will know that she will only have the 'best' and nop its not another dog or another birdy and so without further ado I have pleasure in introducing "Snuffles"

:arrow: http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq169/HarrysMummyalbum/Snuffles/100_1410.jpg

Snuffles sniffing Hubby

:arrow: http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq169/HarrysMummyalbum/Snuffles/100_1414.jpg

She is an 12 week old APH [African Pigmy Hedgehog] and is known as a Salt n Pepper colouring. She is still nervous but is settling in well and is getting used to me handling her as well, she is in excellent health and both parents was met, and she is a real hunny and is my Xmas / Birthday present from Hubby :lol: and I am totally and uterally head over heals :)

:arrow: http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq169/HarrysMummyalbum/Snuffles/100_1408.jpg

:arrow: http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq169/HarrysMummyalbum/Snuffles/100_1412.jpg

Thanks MMM, I really did have to do a lot of soul searching and it wasnt an easy decision to make, as I had to be sure I could handle it and of course care for her properly and give her the best life possible [well being in captivity anyway] and I have to say its all Han's fault as I showed Hubby her site before we went to Cornwall and he said well you can have one for Xmas/Birthday, I couldnt believe it. I would have gotten one from Han but she hasnt any babies at the moment and well once Hubby said Yes I wasnt gonna wait for him to change his mind and off to St Austell we went on the last day, and there was Snuffles :)

I still cant believe it, she is so adorable and OMG does she love her mealworms [wont over fed as she will get too fat]. She already has her new home with loads of toys, a wheel, gawd you name it she has it!!!!

Aww i had a good idea but needed confirmation, wow did you get him from ? on the forum cant remember the name

No we never got her from Han as she has no babies at the moment, but we did get her from St Austell which was only about 30 mins away from where we was staying. The people we got her from were the breeders [even though they owned a exotic pet place] and we met her parents as well, and they were both in excellent health :)

However since Han is a breeder I will be pestering her for advice and tips :) ETA not for breeding but just to make sure I am doing everything right, as I know a bit about the British Hedgies but no so much these :)

The photos dont do her justice at all, she is a cracker!

No not at all, just making sure you handle them at least once a day to get them used to you and your smell, making sure they are fed and fresh water etc, and one of the most important things a wheel as they walk miles each night, and obviously thats not practical and so a wheel ensures they get the exercise, a few nice mealworms and the odd cricket, with hedgie food and thats it really, so they are really low maintence to keep.

Han - feel free to correct me or add any advice :)

Inside as they dont hibernate, its dangerous for them so they have to be kept warm all the time. At the moment as she is so small she is in a indoor rabbit cage, but as she gets bigger so will her cage, she is so small at the moment the one I want for her is far too big on the bars and I am worried she would get through them at the moment. At the moment she is in the living room but once the radiator in the office / dogs den is fixed then she will be in here with me as this is the place I spend the most time in, so I can see her all the time :)

Awwwwwwwwwww I had a feeling that you would get a ickle hedgeghog- Didn't realise there were people that breed them though, you learn something new every day!!!

She is adorable, soooo very cute!!! Makes me want one now- And I could take him/her to Cornwall :mrgreen:

Awww- I'll have to pester Phil me thinks... xxxx

:oops: :oops: Me thinks that my love of hedgies is a bit of a well known fact now....... :lol:8)

I keep checking that she is still there and I am not dreaming the whole thing, I cant believe that I have my own little hedgie, she will be the most pampered one in the UK.

Hedgies are big as pets in the US but I never thought they would be as big here, but there are so many people now wanting them, I just hope its not a faze otherwise in a few years when people are 'bored' of them and move on to the next thing I may have a few more :?

*goes off to check she is still real*