Sign in to follow this  
nia

how soon do you let them out?

hi,

I am wondering how soon do you let a new bird out of their cage?I know it's a daft question and has probably been covered somewhere on the forum already(I have looked but can't find anything).The only experience I have is with a budgie and his cage was never ever locked so he could go in and out as he pleased.Obviously now I'm not in a position to do that with the kids,cat and dog.I have read MMM(I think it) post on taming and teaching the step-up etc.What I'm worried about is having this baby bird flying around and not being able to get it back in the cage before the step-up/down has been learned.

Hi Nia

The best person to ask will be the breeder you get your new bird from, Gary I think you said - he will know his bird best. You will probably find that step up etc will already have been learnt

General advice - some advocate leaving new bird in his/her cage for a day or two to acclimatise to the new surroundings first.

This allows them to take it all in and learn where home is and the layout of their new cage.

Others say to let them out on the first day as if baby bird has been used to daily handling they might fret if they are left in the cage unused to not having time out and handling each day.

As I say the best thing to do is ask Gary his advice.

When i have bought birds sometimes i have been told to leave them in a cage for a week, other times i've been told to get them out after they've had a few hours to settle.

What i've found best though is just going by the bird. If it looks stressed and panicky, leave it in its cage until it has calmed! With my Green Cheeks they were always wanting to come out almost straight away! Hand reared ones just love people and shouldn't be afraid of being with people. So if the bird is wanting to be with you then i see no harm in letting it out once its had a bit of time to settle.

But definately ask Gary for his advice when you pick the bird up :)

Do you know what you're getting and when yet??

thanks for that!

I should find out in the next few days once Gary knows what he's got lol.I've told him which 3 I love the look of so it's just hoping 1 of them is there.It's looking like january/february.I am sooooo excited.I keep checking my emails and PM's on here every few hours to see if he has any news for me-I'm like a kid waiting for santa lol.