Sign in to follow this  
Chala

Birdworld - Surrey

i loved loved loved it!

really sad though some birds were clearly pets and scream for your attention and cuddles (1 or 2 of the cockatoos). It's funny all the signs say "parrots can bite don't touch" but we all give them head scratches! some beautiful amazons there too (my favourites!)

thanks for that, we went saturday, birds were mostly caged as you said, but we enjoyed it. Must make a trip up to Desford, means a weekend a way, my birthdays not too far off, will start hinting now :lol:

they have some enormous aviaries with amazons and other medium sized parrots in. Most of the others are in smaller cages...I wish they were all in the big aviaries.

i am hopefully going back there soon, yippee!

it's my 40th birthday on the 30th and mark, my mum and i may be going to birdworld as it's somewhere i've always wanted to visit. i'm beginning to feel a little apprehensive though with all the distressing news about another parrot zoo. am i likely to see anything upsetting, as in signs the birds are not being cared for properly, lacking in the provision of food, water, shelter, space etc?

ive been to Birdworld a couple of times, i really enjoyed it. The birds did look well looked after and in good condition. Each time ive been there ive seen the staff at work cleaning out the avairies and feeding etc and i chatted with them about the birds. There was a pair of amazons there that had me in hysterics - i reckon they previously belonged to an elderly couple because the pair of them sounded like an old man and woman when they talked. I took some birdie treats for all the birds when i went and this pair kept saying 'Its 5 o'clock...........time for tea' every time i gave them a treat :lol::lol: I also fell in love with the hawkhead amazon :D

I haven't been there for years but used to go nearly every weekend as my parents only live down the road. It was always clean and the birds seemed happy and well looked after. It was founded by Rob Harvey he owned it and ran it for over 20years and i'm sure with him still nearby it would not be like other "parrot zoos".

http://www.robharvey.com/

http://www.birdworld.co.uk/

They had a very nice quaker colony the last time I was there. And some of the big new aviaries very nice. Especially the one with cockatoos and mac or two including a Hyacinth..there was a pair of Umbrella cockatoos burrowing into a raised earth area.

But sad to see that the Ravens, who used to have a really big enclosure were relegated to a small aviary.

There may have been a reason for it, I would have asked if there had been staff there to ask. But forgot later :oops:

Also a huge Hornbill that used to have a big area, also had a reduced "aviary" around half the size if I remember correctly. Can't remember the particular name, it just looked like a giant flying zebra crossing in flight.

Staff were refreshing enrichment in one section as we walked past with branches etc.

Funniest thing ( we tried not to laugh out loud) was a young lady trying to get two macaws into their overnight box..one was really playing her up and both were getting rather cross. This was near closing time so worth watching out for if you are there late...':lol:'

These macs were in an area as you go in, loose during the day, with barriers..not sure if they are clipped or not...We saw some on past visits up in the pine trees.

But they have a box each that they get shut in at night...Not sure about that.

But remember thinking if anyone got in past security at night just take a saw and you have macaw in a box takeaway. :oops:

There are Keas too, love them..Their enclosure was a bit bland at the time, just a lot of stones and rocks and a rope or two. To imitate where they come from?

There were some yoghurt/plastic pots lying round so maybe we missed a feeding time/ or activity of some kind. And the Keas had gone inside for a snooze......

Near to them, behind or beside their enclosure was a window, to a building you can see into a food prep area, I saw pots with cooked bean mix in there etc...

Try and time it to go see a talk/show at the far end near the farm.. Simple and more geared for children, but still interesting. And I dare you not to laugh along with the kookaburra's.

The keeper had a macaw in this particular talk...which he was very wary with..which I wondered about until he explained that due to another one being trained up as well for the talks..this one knew it and was a bit grumpy about it all and blaming him....

:lol:

Even though would l have liked to see some of the aviaries being bigger, there seemed a general good level of care, don't know if you will see things you don't like now, as this was actually a few years ago..so ignore my ramblings :oops:

And don't (if they are still there) do what I did, and walk into the huge barrels with plants in, on the way into the entrance.... :oops: It really hurts your shins.

Just looked at the birdworld website just happened to look at the bird rehoming section and they list the NPS for rehoming of parrots website, email and tel number :shock: :roll:

Is there a shop at Birdworld and if so, does it sell anything I may want to buy for my parrots (toys, treats etc) or is it just the usual tourist tat?

Hope the weather improves! Yesterday 'they' were saying it would be mainly warm and sunny today. Well it's grey and not particularly warm at the moment! Not leaving til 10.30 so hopefully it will have warmed up by then!

Weather was disappointing, cold and grey! :roll:

Still had a good day though. Was pleased to see the large parrot aviary had happy looking birds in it with loads of perching space and room to fly.

There were a few single parrots in small aviaries which I'm assuming must be birds they've taken in as they're alone?? Mark made friends with a YC Amazon and a Hawk Head (Headed??) parrot. This was the first time I've ever seen a Hawk Head, wow what a stunning little bird!

I'm uploading some pics which I'll post a link to tomorrow.

Gift shop was ok, as said, just the average stuff available in any gift shop. The pet shop was useless! I don't think they sold a single parrot product! :lol:

Here are just a few pics of the big aviary for now. There were two Greys who were very chatty (whistling a lot) and busy, when they weren't snoozing! Some Macaws (including a Hyacinth), two Galahs, two BIG 'Toos (Umbrella?? Had a pinkish tone to their feathers), some Patagonian Conures, a couple of Amazons and a little bird I didn't know the type of.

They all seemed to be getting along fine together and weren't on the wire desperate for attention.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image