Sign in to follow this  
zikola

Over Enthusiastic Cockatiel

Hi,

We have two cockatiels, both adorable! One of them is an eight month old female who is very affectionate, she loves having her head and ears scratched! The only problem we have is that she likes to preen us as well as herself, which is great when she is being gentle, but if she finds the slightest blemish she becomes determined to remove it. She will draw blood if not stopped. She doesn't do this out of any sense of malice she is just preening, but does anyone have any idea how to stop her being so rough without hurting her feelings?

[/url]

My caiques do the same! I just move them gently or offer a really good chewing toy instead. However one of mine is very determined that we look our best!

lol i can sympathise! all our conures are exactly the same and it can really hurt! i tend to wear hoodies a lot of the time, then when they do get like this i just put my hood up and pull the draw strings! tee hee i mean, i don't have any blemishes at all.... :shock: :oops:

maybe these birds in a next future life are going to be plastic surgeons and are having a practise?

There go my plans for a boob job if I win the lottery! :shock: :shock: :shock:

mine like to nibble my nails and the skin down the sides of them, even on my feet, it tickles like hell so i try to make sure i have socks on when they are out lol

Cinnamon is adorable bless her, she is also currently going through the equivalent of the terrible twos so we have to try very hard not to laugh when she is running around the floor in a fit of temper because we won't let her get her own way (which usually involves going in the kitchen). Charlie our older cockatiel watches her in horror sometimes and then looks at us accusingly, which is quite funny because 90% of the time they get on well.

H zikola,

I do not think there is anything much you can do to stop Cinnamon, apart from either not letting her do it at all, or just taking her attention away by giving her a distraction, like a little toy or some fuss :)

It is nice when they preen us, or find some "bug" they have to help us with. And that little fixed "glaze" of attention/concentration they get. While the beak digs harder and harder :shock: :lol:

You can try telling her to be gentle, but not sure it will work, I do not think you will hurt her feelings if you remove her.

Just give her something else to do or "play" with if you feel bad about it :lol:

Perhaps you could still let her do it, but pay attention, and before she get too fixated on one thing, point out another one to her and ask her to do that one...at least it will save getting one very sore spot.... :wink: