Sign in to follow this  
MadMudMob™

Struggling to get Ringnecks to breed

I currently have 4 pairs of ringnecks and one spare hen in a communal aviary though i have bred senagals tiels conures finches lovebirds and many others. im struggeling to get these to breed the females are chewing the nest boxes fine and chucking out what they dont need there doing the mating chat but still no breeding anyone have any advice i have photos of the birds and my avairy on photobucket

they are fed fresh fruit and veg daily have access to seed all the time and fed egg food rice to name but a few there boxes have just wood shavings in there anyone got any ideas ive tried the nest boxes at many angles i have had one pair lay eggs but they were in fertile

cheers jay

here's Jay2513's photobucket:

http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s309/jay2513/

the only thing that comes to mind is perhaps they might do better during the breeding season to be placed in aviarys paired up.if space is a problem perhaps try and accomadate one pair elsewhere, if they then breed then you have answered your problem.

Its very early just yet for Ringnecks & other Asiatics to breed....courtship starts around Jan/Feb and by the time the cock bird plucks up enough courage to mate the Hens eggs can be expected Feb/March.

You may well get good results from breeding them as you are....but in my opinion 1pr to an aviary is the best option.

Its recommended you have 2 nest boxs for each pr of birds when colony breeding......this lessons the risk of fighting between the birds.....Ringnecks can get along well on the colony.....but when they are breeding things can be a bit different.

Good luck ...great birds :wink

after taking on board what advice i was given i started afresh and went back to basics turned the heating of turned the night lights of kept a tiny heater going changed all the nest boxes around into more private places changed the sawdust/peat bedding to easibed and changed my birds seed to tidymix and they are breeding as im typing this 2 pairs are mating one is digging the nest box so hopefully might have some cute chicks coming my way yippee ill keep posting and hopefully get some pictures of the eggs and chicks as they progress thanks for all your help guys you have been great