Sign in to follow this  
Pippy

Scruffy tails

Both Mojo and Shinda have scruffy tails which I'm almost certain are due to them slipping when climbing about in the cage.

Please can you guys have a look at these clips (Mojo) taken this evening and tell me do you think it looks like damage caused by clumsiness, or could it be indicative of something more sinister?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flipflopip/3111599084/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flipflopip/3111630570/in/photostream/

I hasten to add I've never seen either of them plucking/pulling or shredding their tail feathers and the appearance of their tails stays pretty much like this, bits missing in the middle.

Thanks both! Shinda's are the same by the way!

So they're stuck with these beautiful :shock: tails til they go through their first moult then? Not that it worries me!

Are they likely to be approaching their first moult any time soon or does that vary? Will I know when it's happening?

I shouldnt worry too much.. If you seen the state that my grey Jazz's tail and wing flight feathers are in sometimes, you would think he had been in a fight with a flymo :shock:

I shouldnt worry too much.. If you seen the state that my grey Jazz's tail and wing flight feathers are in sometimes, you would think he had been in a fight with a flymo :shock:

Oh the images flashing through my mind right now! :shock: :lol::lol:

same here don't worry, i'm not too sure why liono is so scruffy though, his tail and flight feathers are very messy! also when he stretches his wings up above him you can literally see holes where there are no feathers, no idea if that's normal he's always been scruffy since i've had him but i love him anyway! :) just thought that maybe it could have something to do with the fact his beak is usually quite jagged? sure mojo and shinda will grow lovely feathers after the moult!