Sign in to follow this  
Jeff P

Help required for my CAG

I have just tonight noticed that my African Grey is discharging a small amount of colourless liquid (looks like water) from his nostrils and scratching the left one with his claw.

I haven't observed him sneezing or anything though...

Could this just be something stuck in his nostril or should i be concerned and get him to the Avian vets tomorrow...

He is only about 16 weeks old and seems no different in behaviour than normal i.e whistling and getting up to mischief...

Am i just being paranoid or should i be concerned...

Can CAG's catch human colds as all the Family have had colds over the past months etc...

Thank you in advance.....

Thanks for your replies...

I am just wondering whether it has anything to do with me maybe putting the heating on an hour ago or excessive dust etc.....

As i said he doesn't seem at all different to his usual daily behaviour....

I will keep an eye on him....

He could have something stuck in his nostril, but it could be something more serious, must take him to avian vet tomorrow. I usually use the back end of a feather to clear nostrils as i often get baby food in them when spoon eeding, just a small feather, you could give it a try.

The Liquid or water from his nostrils has stopped now so i am hoping that he just needed to clear them maybe...

I will see how he is in the morning...

But at the moment he is whistling away at the top of his voice and flying about like a lunatic from shelf to cage etc....

:lol:

I had this one time, with a CAG as well i think!!

She kept scratching at her nostril and it had some watery discharge coming out of it. It ended up being a tiny bit of seed she had got stuck in her nostril!

Hi Jeff,

With such a young bird I would take him to your vets, while it is hopfully nothing to be worried about........all illnesses and/or problems can be worse for very young or very old birds.