Sign in to follow this  
threeladdies

Do breeders feel comfortable with the forum?

Do breeders feel comfortable with the forum?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do breeders feel comfortable with the forum?

• Yes
    • No

I think this is a topic which is coming up quite frequently with some of the breeders who are members of the forum. I sometimes wonder myself why we still have a breeders directory when every member who joins is told not to buy a baby.

I've also noticed that most of the breeders rarely ever post nowadays. There're some very knowledgable members who breed and I'm sure their input would be very valuable to the forum.

So to anyone who breeds do you still feel comfortable (welcome) by the forum?

Guest ramagel

Who cares?

if their knowledge is all that is valuable, it is more than matched by the knowledge of those who end up caring for the birds they have bred for their financial gain. I know I'd rather take the advice of someone who cares for birds from the heart than from the pocket ...

Sellers (breeders) need buyers. Birds need homes - there are more birds that need homes than good home for birds. Why is there still a market for birds bred for sale?

Oh .. here's a deal: for every breeder that leaves this forum in the next 3 months, I'll give £5 to Parrotcare if every breeder that stays does the same. After all, it's charities like Parrotcare that so often end up having to take care of for free what breeders sold for profit ...

If that is the view of most members of the forum then I will happily leave and I think that David should remove the breeders directory from the forum.

I think it is unfair of you to label all breeders under the same blanket. I know where each one of my babies are and I can assure you that you are not looking after any of them. The owners know that if they are unable to take care of them for whatever reason then they will be bought back by me.

Profit, that is a joke. My birds have the very best diet, enviroment, care and love that I can possibly give them. Every penny I get from any babies goes straight back into enriching their lives.

Who cares?

if their knowledge is all that is valuable, it is more than matched by the knowledge of those who end up caring for the birds they have bred for their financial gain. I know I'd rather take the advice of someone who cares for birds from the heart than from the pocket ...

Sellers (breeders) need buyers. Birds need homes - there are more birds that need homes than good home for birds. Why is there still a market for birds bred for sale?

Oh .. here's a deal: for every breeder that leaves this forum in the next 3 months, I'll give £5 to Parrotcare if every breeder that stays does the same. After all, it's charities like Parrotcare that so often end up having to take care of for free what breeders sold for profit ...

I think that what you said is wrong, it's too harsh to tar every person the same.

I care.

I would hate breeders to feel uncomfortable with the forum and indeed I am saddened that some do.

I know some very good breeders who do care for their birds with a passion. The breeders on here have provided myself and others with invaluable advice time and time again and for that I thank them.

I certainly agree not all breeders can be categorised as the same - there is, no doubt, a bad minority but there is also an increasing percentage of very caring breeders adapting to better welfare methods for their birds both the adult breeders and their young offspring.

None of us should forget that parrot keeping is a relatively new thing and that breeding these birds here in the UK is an even newer event.

Knowledge grows daily as does experience - new ideas prove their worth or are tried and found to fail; much has changed in the last 2 decades and there will always be improvements yet to be fine-tuned/improved/tried/discovered.

i don't see why breeders shouldn't feel welcome on the forum but i do strongly agree that there are more birds than good homes for them.

are new members told not to buy a baby? or are they advised that there are other options out there than to buy the first hand reared baby they come across?

Hi,

can I just say that although I have only just joined this site I have found it a great supportive place.I have read through a lot of it and taken advice from people regarding taking on a bird from a breeder or a rehome.I have found a bird for me since being here-and it is from a breeder not a rehome.The way I see it is that as a 1st time parrot owner(to be) a bird from breeder is best as I feel I would have support/advice from the brreder should something not go right-therefore potentially preventing anpother bird in need of rehome.Also after gaining experience of bringing up a bird from young I would hope to be better equiped in the future to take on a rehome.I think for these reasons breeders are a good thing on here.

Nia

i feel really upset by that comment. dont tar all breeders with the same brush. i care about where my babies go, i dont sell them to the first person who comes along with pound notes. all my aviary birds have as good a life as i can provide, all have swings toys in their aviaries. making money, !! well that,s a joke . i darent add up what my expenses are but no where near to what i sell my babies for.

i too know where all my babies are and in fact did rehome one earlier this year as it came back due to the owners personal circumstances. and i also "repossed " one this year as i wasnt 100% happy with the care that it was been given, and that bird is still with me.

i also support parrotcare and send donations every year, however if this is going to be a no go forum for breeders then so be it.

I greet any new member who has joined specifically to find a bird with .....

Have you tried our site's Breeders' Directory?

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/27-breeders-directory/

and/or the For Sales?:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/11-parrots-for-sale-pets/

You may like to wander around our Welcome Pack?:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/6216-welcome-info-pack%c2%a9/

or for those still pondering what type ....

You might find this worth a read? ....

WHICH PARROT/WHAT TYPE/WHAT'S BEST FOR ME?©:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/index.php?topic=13990.0

(from the forum's INFORMATION TOPICS© section .... https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/22-parrot-link-information-topics/

why not have a stroll around to see what interests you?)

neither of which could be taken as anti-breeder!

I think it would be a terrible shame if breeders were no longer welcome on this forum. It is ultimately down to David i suppose, but it would mean losing a lot of knowledgable people. There are lots of people with knowledge of course, but most GOOD breeders know the species they breed inside out and can really help people with problems or just who need advice.

Not everyone wants to rescue. I have done a lot of work with parrot rescues and have had a lot of birds come through my house over the years! I like to think i helped them out! But, the birds are never yours. In my contracts there were conditions stipulating that, if the rescue disappeared (through financial reasons or whatever) the birds would be taken from their adopted homes. That made me feel uncomfortable and to me, isn't in the interest of the birds.

So, much as i loved the rescue work, and would still help out of course, i would always buy a bird from a breeder and know that i have the security of, as long as i look after the bird, no one can just take it off me!!

I think there is a place for those who rescue AND those who breed on here.

Guest ramagel

I think that what you said is wrong, it's too harsh to tar every person the same.

Argue against it then, I don't tar everyone the same.

Who cares?

I think you may find more people care than dont :wink:

A whole £5 wow you are so generous....that should keep Parrotcare going for em let me think ! 5 seconds.

Challenge

Make it £500 and I'll leave right now

Guest ramagel

If that is the view of most members of the forum then I will happily leave and I think that David should remove the breeders directory from the forum.

Who said you should leave? I didn't.

Stay and face your accusers. Or leave and donate to the folks that clear up behind you.

Would you be missed? I don't know. Do you have anything of value to add here that others can't?

Would I miss you? I don't know you. Do you exploit animals for financial gain?

many breeders do breed the birds for the love of it, if the birds in my aviarys breed then so be it, if they dont then thats fine, i have birds in my aviaries some of which have never bred and never likely too, do you think breeders get rid, well they dont many keep them for as long as they can. in my case it will be until i get either sectioned or put in a nursing home.

you seem to have an unfounded hatred for breeders, we are not bad people, a little mad yes, bad no.

Who said you should leave? I didn't.

Stay and face your accusers. Or leave and donate to the folks that clear up behind you.

Would you be missed? I don't know. Do you have anything of value to add here that others can't?

Would I miss you? I don't know you. Do you exploit animals for financial gain?

Ramagel - I am asking you politely to desist. You are welcome to share your opinion just as every other member here is but you are coming across as both personal and confrontational neither of which is tolerated here. Thankyou

edited to add quote for clarification

Guest ramagel

Oh dear. You don't think a PM would have been better?

Personal? Against whom?

Confrontational? Oh yes. Why not? Is Gary's £500 challenge not confrontational, but my acceptance of it is?

I can go as quickly as I arrived.

Who cares?

I am shocked by you. How dare you.......... i have been reading you posts, infact ignoring most as i have noticed you think you know it all and you even felt you knew more than a vet on a recent post. You are very rude, thats all i can say.