Sign in to follow this  
nia

what bird-opinions please

on the advice of another member I am posting this.

I have been looking for quakers or greys.However I am open to suggestions of other types as before I get my birdie-friend I obviously need to make sure I get the right 1 for my household.I have 5 children aged between 8 months and 8 years.I am home most of the day and as you can imagine there is always something happening and a lot of noise in my house!I don't want a very big bird.I personally don't mind whether it is a type known for talking or not-although my 8 year old would at least like 1 that is capable of at least saying hello to him.

Also do birds prefer to be kept with at least 1 other bird or are they happy to be just them?

I have seen plenty written about various birds on the net but would prefer the personal opinion of people who have experience with their favourite/least liked breed/type.

Thanks

Nia

Guest ramagel

What a fantastic and open question. I was going to give my opinion - but now I know more about your circumstances I have nothing to contribute - except not to forget the humble budgie! They can have tragically short lives but this can be good or bad for a child (experience of mortality, loss and grief).

I have known just one of a dozen to be a huge talker in the sense of uttering recognisable phrases - but all are hugely entertaining and delightful creatures. All the more so when kept in small numbers (say 4 or 6). Their interactions with each other and with their human carers are a never-ending source of amusement and education. Hand-tame I suggest, for the benefit of the children so they can quickly get used to handling a live creature with all its feisty personality. Gram for gram, however. they are the poopiest creatures I have ever cared for (including large dogs!) - fortunately, being small, the total amount of poop is small.

If not confined to a tiny cage at the margins of the household they are a delightful companion - perhaps especially in a busy noisy household where they will thoroughly enjoy the hustle and bustle!

Hi Nia and welcome......... Shame you live so far as i would be happy to invite you over to see and meet my birds as i have several species all living indoors as pets and amongst them are some hand reared, some parent reared, some share reared where both myself and the parents reared the baby jointly and also wild caught. It would give you a pretty good idea, but as i said shame you are so far.

All i can say is that my favourite are Eclectus for being really laid back, Amazons for being total nutters, Cockatoos for being so cuddly and entertaining and the Greys for being so well behaved in comparison to the rest and also i have a much closer relationship with my hand reared birds as they prefer more time spent with me where the others tend to be happier doing there own thing and with some of the parent reared and wild ones there are no kisses and cuddles. I can say from my experience of living with over 80 parrots, 24/7, day in day out for several years now, that all the birds i have know they are parrots(birds) and the fact that some were taken away from their parents at 3-4 weeks old has not for one minute made them think they are human or ????........i totally disagree with that idea. These birds are only one generation removed from the wild and still have their instincts. All my birds freak if the sparrow hawk lands on the patio, no one ever told them its a predator, but they all know, even the hand reared. Plus another thought, if a bird is parent reared in a cage or aviary by its parents its really not going to be taught very much as its parents can't fly around to take them around and show them what is safe to eat, where is safe to roost etc.........all they can show them is how to cope in four wall and how to make the most of the boring variety of food that is going to be offered to them, by the best of us. I think if a bird is going to be kept captive then he/she will enjoy his life more in a house with humans and pets if he has been hand reared and therefore will enjoy human company rather than tolerate it.

You might find this worth a read? ....

WHICH PARROT/WHAT TYPE/WHAT'S BEST FOR ME?©:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/index.php?topic=13990.0

(from the forum's INFORMATION TOPICS© section .... https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/22-parrot-link-information-topics/

why not have a stroll around to see what interests you?)

Guest ramagel

Also do birds prefer to be kept with at least 1 other bird or are they happy to be just them?

Hmmmm. It's difficult to determine what a bird 'prefers' in the sense that we use the word. It will 'prefer' what it becomes used to, since there's often no way of it expressing a preference (other than self-harming if it is "unhappy").

A slightly more helpful response is "some do, some don't" depending on the totality of their environment: but that's not much help, is it?

My personal preference would be to keep a bird with another - not necessarily of the same species, but with one with which it is comfortable: that way it does not become TOO attached to and dependent on me.

Conures are great birds with children if raised properly. I wouldnt advise one as big as a grey cos if they WERE to even nip one of the kids they could do some serious damage!!

Cockatoos i wouldn't advise as pets full stop, except for Galahs. Caiques are supposed to be great little characters and very playful but i have no experience of them.

I would personally go for a green cheek conure (or similar) as they are quiet, playful, very very interactive with their owners, some can talk and they are great as a first bird if you've never had parrots before!

taken away from their parents at 3-4 weeks old has not for one minute made them think they are human or ????........i totally disagree with that idea.

Sadly my experiences working with birds means I cannot agree with you - there are numerous instances where birds have a mixed up identity but the most frequent cases are birds human reared from the egg where they have no chance to develop their inherent birdydom at all.

These birds are only one generation removed from the wild and still have their instincts

I totally agree but it is this confusion/conflict between their inherited natural instincts and their human imprinting that can lead to continual low level stress which in turn may develop into plucking, screaming etc.

I think if a bird is going to be kept captive then he/she will enjoy his life more in a house with humans and pets if he has been hand reared and therefore will enjoy human company rather than tolerate it.

Not at all! The tamest bird I have ever had was wild caught as an adult. I have a firm belief that the eventual relationship between a parent reared and the owner is stronger, more balanced - each (human and bird) knowing who and what they are yet connecting through a developed and earned trust both ways.

if a bird is parent reared in a cage or aviary by its parents its really not going to be taught very much as its parents can't fly around to take them around and show them what is safe to eat, where is safe to roost etc.........all they can show them is how to cope in four wall and how to make the most of the boring variety of food that is going to be offered to them, by the best of us

Agreed in those circumstances a parent bird can't teach in-the-wild activities but just by being there both parents example what an adult bird of that species looks like, what natural behaviours they have etc ..... incredibly valuable learning for the young of any species.

To sum up - in my opinion one fact above all others encompasses my opinion on this .... no Grey or Macaw has ever been shown to pluck their feathers as a habit in the wild - that has happened totally as a response to being kept by humans and a vastly higher percentage of those who do pluck were hand reared.

Guest ramagel

except for Galahs

Oh! Do say more in a separate post! I'd love to learn more about them

There will be a vacancy in my home (and heart) in a few months when the two B&Gs and two CAGs I'm looking after for a friend get re-united with her in the USA.

thnx for ur opinions.I had a budgie for over 2 years(until he died) when I was 15.it slept in my room and we were the best of friends.My parents had a grey when I was 8/9 but my mother rehomed him as he hated her-he was lovely with me and would come to me and eat from my hand.They also had a cockatiel which I never really took to-it's shrill shriek used to annoy me as a child-so that has put me off them for life.

oh I forgot to mention I have a cat who to be honest is not bothered by people or animals-she prefers to be left alone,I also have a 3yr old rottie who is very nosy-but will lose interest(or at least come away lol) when told to leave.

I might look into conures then.thanks for the advice.I have a cage ready-the bars are just under 2.5cm apart(the bars go horizontally not vertically)-do you think the space is too big for a conure?

Guest ramagel

it's shrill shriek used to annoy me as a child-so that has put me off them for life.

Each of our two do just that only when too far apart from the other (out of sight, mostly) - bless!

Guest ramagel

To sum up - in my opinion one fact above all others encompasses my opinion on this .... no Grey or Macaw has ever been shown to pluck their feathers as a habit in the wild - that has happened totally as a response to being kept by humans and a vastly higher percentage of those who do pluck were hand reared.

Indeed!

While there are 'rescue birds' amongst us that need homes, breeding a bird for any purpose other than conservation or scientific study or to advance the welfare of the species is simply exploitation for our own emotional or commercial benefit, and compelling evidence that we (humans) are not fit to have dominion over the earth.

except for Galahs

Oh! Do say more in a separate post! I'd love to learn more about them

There will be a vacancy in my home (and heart) in a few months when the two B&Gs and two CAGs I'm looking after for a friend get re-united with her in the USA.

Galahs are fantastic birds :D

Not anywhere near as noisy as the white toos (from my experience at least) and generally more laid back. They are much more advisable as a pet. I also think they are by far the most beautiful of the easily available cockatoos, but that is of course just my opinion :wink:

There's loads of info out there about Galahs as pets, and im sure lots of people on here have and/or breed them. I only have limited experience with them but would 100% recommend them to someone who has some experience with parrots. They have quite specific dietary needs (they can get very fat!!) so you need to be aware of that, but once you get the hang of it it's easy to feed them.

thanks Jessica,

they look gorgeous and not too big!do yours share a cage?are yours just GCC or a mutation kind that I am finding a lot of on the net?

The first pic is of a normal GCC. Stunning normally (IMO) but also come in some amazing mutations (PM Gary if you are interested in those, he has some lovely ones!!). The other one in the other two pics is a Blue Throated Conure. Stunning, beautiful, amazing pets (Kai never once bitten me!!) but very rare and endangered. I believe Mue B on here now has Kai's parents so if you want one of those you can contact her to see if she has any hand reared im sure :D

If i was to buy a conure i would go for a Blue Throated. They are more than the Green Cheeks (I paid £200 for Kai, i'd assume they've gone up a bit since then, maybe to about £250 ish) but they are just beautiful and very sweet birds and very quiet.

Here's another pic of a normal GCC, beautiful!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/BettaPics/020905oz3.jpg

Just to add, my conures (i've had a few over the years - my own and rescues!!) have always shared a cage eventually, i've introduced them gradually using a divided cage. They generally seem to like each others company, but are happy enough on their own with plenty of attention from their people!

ive got 2 conures. They came to me as rescues and if i'd never have taken them on then i wouldnt have known what great birds they are. They are comical and mischeavous and great little birds. One of mine talks aswell. You can see pics of them in my photobucket. They love to be involved in everything, like when im doing the hoovering they are sitting on my shoulder and when im on the computer they sit on top of the screen. When im washing up in the kitchen they are on top of the cupboards watching me. Great birds, would definately recommend them. Oh.........and mine dont seem to be noisy either.

I have a fiery shoulder conure and a black capped conure :D

MMM its obvious we all have diferent expereiences and i just stated my opinion as nia had asked for different opinions, although i was sure you would come along and disagree. I really have no idea how much experience you have had with birds, but i don't agree with your opinions either and i believe you are so anti breeding and hand rearing that you would disagree with anything i who hand rears birds would have to say. I am surprised you even allow us breeders on this forum.

thanks again,

gary pm'd me as he is able to deliver to my area.I have looked at his website and like the look of the blue yellow sided ones.I don't think I would want a very rare and endangered species-that just adds extra responsibility onto it for me lol.think I'll leave them to ppl who can breed/rear them properly to continue the species.I'll have a more common 1 I think lol.

from what gary's website says he tries to leave babies with parents until around 5wks old if he can.having read some responses to a previous thread of mine re handrearing I think personally for me this is probably the kind of bird I'd like.I will contact Gary and see what he has available.thanks to everyone who has replied-especially jessica23(you swayed me lol).

I will contact Gary and see what he has available.thanks to everyone who has replied-especially jessica23(you swayed me lol).

:lol: You are most welcome :D

Keep us updated and let us know what kind of baby you go for??

Start toy shopping now as well. GCC's LOVE toys :wink: