Sign in to follow this  
Guest ramagel

Free feeding or 'mealtimes'?

How do you feed your bird?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feed your bird?

• Free feed (basic diet available all day, additional nutrition and treats as and when)
    • Specific mealtimes (morning and afternoon/evening)
    • Other (please do give details)

Guest ramagel

I often hear folks talk about 'feeding time' for their birds, which I take to mean that they put a certain quantity of food out for their birds at certain times of the day, and do not make food available 24 hours per day.

I provide my birds with their basic diet (seed or pellets depending) 24 hours a day, and give them additional nutrition (vegetables, fruit, nuts or treats (toast, chicken bones, dog biscuits, and suchlike) at various times during the day. Of course, some "additional nutrition" is a treat, but you get my drift.

Am I just being lazy / taking the easy option?

What are the pros and cons of 'feeding time' vs 'free feeding'?

Thanks for your comments

When Mojo and Shinda are in their cage they have access to their seed, a bowl of something fresh and another bowl with a few walnut pieces, a few almonds and a couple of palm nuts each. All of this is given fresh each morning before I go to work.

When they come out for the afternoon I give them a bowl of something cooked in their playstand bowl (could be any kind of fruit or veg, scrambled egg, pasta, rice etc) plus a couple of treats (pine nuts, runner beans, small piece of toast etc).

Later on in the afternoon I usually throw away what's left in that bowl and give them some fruit to destroy, pomegranate, kiwi, passion fruit etc.

They don't have a set time for their playstand bowl of food, they just get it when I get in from work sometime late morning/early afternoon.

I take the bowl of fresh food out of the cage when they go back in at night.

Oh, in the morning before I go to work they come out for about half an hour and I give them a little spoon feed of something, usually Ready Brek, porridge or mashed banana :)

If I'm cooking mashed potato in the evening they get a second spoon feed of the day coz they love mashed potato from a spoon! :lol:

Mine have their seed taken out and their fruit and veg available in the mornings then they have either cooked pulses, soak seed or cooked veg, something like that in the afternoon then fresh seed late afternoon, left in over night, then it all starts again the next morning lol. They get nuts etc as treat whenever they get given them, no set times.

Guest ramagel

Yes: I guess if we have mealtimes so do they! But is that in ADDITION to free feeding :) (it is with mine, I must confess)

But is that in ADDITION to free feeding :) (it is with mine, I must confess)

But of course! I tend not to let them literally share mine but if it's something they can eat I'll pop a little in their bowl.

Mojo and Shinda are a bit 'off' with Nats (they spend a huge amount of time with me and love me lots so this is to be expected really) so she likes to get close to them with food bribery! :D

Guest ramagel

i do as you sue no seed during the day only at night.soaked seed, pulses,fruit and veg and chicken or fish noodles etc during the day

That's an interesting combination. Can I ask you both why you do it that way? Is it just because that's how you've come to feed them or is there something else behind it?

I find if they have access to seed all day long then they would not eat the fruit veg pulses etc.A lot of mine are rescues and rehome and they where seed junkies this way they at least try other food and thank goodness like some of it.I do not like feeding seed at all really but they have a little at night with nuts etc

Like marion and others - I think giving seed (or whatever) available all the time can allow a bird to be picky. My birds have 2 meal times, both aviary macaws and inside birds have the same feeding schedule. in the morning they have on alternate days, a handful of different fruit, or pulses + Avimix etc then in the eveings alternate between nuts, a seed mix, and pellets, I also chuck in 'bits and bobs' at this time as well like cheese, toast, meat and other stuff. They have the evening food available for about 3 hours and lights off at 10 and any left over food taken away and bits swept up to keep rats and mice at bay. I find this works well and by giving the favorite food late in the day encourages them to eat a good amount of the less favorite food. I also think it gives the bird something to look forward to by giving meal times and changing the dinners that he or she gets! It seems to make them sample more things and be non-fussy eaters. Since if they don't eat what they are offered they don't get anything else before the next mealtime.

Mine has a bowl of seed in their cage all the time. However fruit is always eaten first. Mine are not so keen on veggies. Unless its warm, preferably mashed and with gravy! :wink:

i voted free feed.

Thankfully all mine love their food and happily eat their veggies and their fruit and arnt picky eaters at all.

I think i struck lucky with all mine :D