Sign in to follow this  
sfan

How to bring a bird home?

Hi

I am thinking of buying a Jardine's parrot. After doing a lot of research I have found a couple of breeders who have some babies available. I dont drive, and I live in london. These breeders aren't exactly close [one of them is in Wales]. I was wondering if I will be allowed to carry the bird on a public transport like a train or bus?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

:)

I once brought a kakarki home in a box on a bus but not sure what the regs are for trains, maybe once you have decided what bird and from where a family member could drive you there and maybe even (providing you ask nicely) a member here would help you out? There will be a way round this and people here will only be too willing to advice and help. Rob

Guest ramagel

You're going to need a carrier/carry cage anyway for trips to the vet etc etc so buy a suitable one and take it with you on public transport. I don't know the Jardines but the breeder should either be able to advise you or sell you a suitable one. Being a small bird the carrier/cage should be able to sit quite happily on your lap there and back.

Tip: If you are travelling to and/or from a non mainline station, check the fares from the nearest mainline station(s) and buy the local journey separately. It can be MUCH cheaper than buying from your local station. It cost me £30 more than it could have done to go to Darlington because I forgot to book from Leicester and get a separate local ticket. Done this way and booked as far in advance as you can, rail fares can be remarkably cheap.