Sign in to follow this  
CheekyChica

Using smelly oils around parrots??

Hi guys, today I was walking past the Body Shop, and smelt the most beautiful smell from outside so I had to go inside to be nosey..... anyway it was from an oil burner, burning satsuma and cranberry (smelt so christmassy lol) for the home........so yes I had too buy some!, but I ddnt realise till on the way home they could be toxic to Chica......but I thought that was mostly for aerosol air freshners?

Has anyone got any info as to whether oils are safe around parrots?

Thanks!

Guest ramagel

A friend of mine who can't smell (it's not that uncommon) was going out on a rare night out, and put some perfume on She didn't know how much she'd put on,(plenty, but not a huge amount) and the next thing she knew a White Capped Pionus (I think - maybe a Caique - lovely bird though) that she was BOARDING collapsed when she came into the room Hubby rushed to aid the bird - took it outside and - as far as I remember- sort of waved it around. It recovered Perfumes and parrots don't mix

My avian vet told me that at this time of year when boilers start getting fired up for the central heating, long-unused gas fires go on and perfumed candles get burned they see an awful lot of birds with respiratory problems. Obviously they don't see the ones that have collapsed and died and get buried under a tree in a sunny spot in the garden

I am trying to find information about candles and birds. I thought there where one lot that could be used, but have had no confirmation by the company as yet..

Pure essential oils, used in something like a jml globe or one of the other water filled air purifiers is safe though.. BUT it has to be pure not mixed, ie the cheap stuff...