Sign in to follow this  
dmd2106

Self Mutilated Feathers

Im looking for some help, I have a African Grey that every time he moults which is about every 3 months at the mo he "self mutilates" his wing feathers for a week or then stops.

We have been to the vets with little help, I spray him with Aloe vera 3 times a week has a good diet of pellets and fresh veg and was looking for any help...............

he is in a large cage with loads of toys and spends all the time out the cage when Im at home (6 hours per day)

I have also just got a UV light which is on 8 hours per day...

any thoughts please

Guest ramagel

Not directly relevant, of course, as you've only just got it but just to clarify: When you say UV do you mean a white light with UVA and UVB in it, or one of those 'night club' lights that make white things shine?

Guest ramagel

Yes I use those lights - about as long as you've had them. I have seen my birds calm down: they seem to 'feel' more contented.

Folks will be along with lots of advice I'm sure - and some of it rightly contradictory - what works for one bird won't for another. Some 'stress' is good, (even essential) too much is bad (that's true for humans - I couldn't think how to reword it for birds, but it's just as valid - maybe "boredom is bad, so is too much excitement").

My 2p - my Hahns and Goffins mutilated*/plucked - do you give EXTRA fuss when you expect him to moult/mutilate? Do you try to distract him when he's at it? I used to. Once I stopped they stopped too. Birds are all different, but just a thought.

*My Goffins would tear her skin and I could hear her ripping out her feathers She hasn't touched them for a good while now, and she's leaving the regrowth alone I don't even bother with the aloe vera spray - her skin wasn't irritated so it was never doing any good anyway, but at £7 a pop what vet wouldn't suggest it as maybe being useful?

Don't mollycoddle the bird either - does it have too many toys and doesn't have a quiet spot to zone out? I love it when my guys just snooze on their stands or swings or wherever they've ended up in the daytime: - it tells me they feel secure, content and comfortable

Thanks for that some good info, I'm just trying to understand why it is only at moulting time and what i can do before or during to prevent it..

The UV seems to have calmed him and had hoped this would help but only had it for a few weeks.