Sign in to follow this  
Guest ramagel

Cages: those grills at the bottom - what ARE they for?

Guest ramagel

Every cage I've bought, even the second-hand ones comes with a grill for the bottom. What is the purpose of these grills? I've never used them - apart from to bodge-up a broken door or something similar.

Obviously it's to stop the bird getting onto the floor/tray of the cage - but why? My guys love to rootle around for food they thought they didn't like about 30 seconds ago ....

I've just assembled a new monster cage, and I've finally gotten around to asking "What do I DO with this thing?"

The Montana San Remo cages came with a metal grill AND a plastic griddle type of thing - I don't use EITHER*! I must be doing something wrong :(

*Well, I have a stand sitting in one with newspaper as a seed and poop catcher, but that's it.

I assume it's to prevent them walking in or eating their droppings??

I don't use mine either though, I just change the newspaper regularly.

Mojo and Shinda would find it very hard to walk on the bars anyway and would keep falling through coz of their damaged feet.

I have a whole pile of unused grills sitting in my garage. Harleys Stainless Steel cage came with one and it is such a nice heavy duty grill seems a shame to throw them away. I keep saying they'll come in handy for something someday.

I keep saying they'll come in handy for something someday.

If you get a floor standing air cleaner, they are useful for stopping birdies from trashing the plastic front grill...... :roll: :lol:

I hate grills, but have to use one with one of our birds.

For people who leave their birds in for a lot of time, I would guess that it is more hygienic, unless your bird only poops in one spot and does not paddle about in it.

I think that it depends on your situation and the birds..But I hate grills.... :)

Here's an older topic where we were discussing them.

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=311149&highlight=grills#311149

Guest ramagel

Ahhh! Ahhhh! Right! Unbleached paper! Newsprint offcuts! I looked for them for AGES and found them very expensive - not to buy, but to get delivered - where do you get yours from, Rubytoo? I have a white 'too too! But only for half-an-hour after her bath.

The previous thread was interesting. I can sort of see the point of the grills (but Montana seem to go over the top supplying both the metal and plastic one) but I'm a 'leaver-outer' I guess. I'm pretty sure birds rootle around on the ground under their roosting spots in the wild, and bird poop is nothing like mammalian carnivore poop for its foulness! There must be a learnèd treatise somewhere about the bacteria load too, but I imagine it's essentially non-toxic unlike our own. If you think about battery chickens (not that it's a nice thought) the main problem with their poop is its corrosive nature, not its bacterial load (it's difficult to go into battery sheds for the stench of ammonia). OTOH they are pumped full of antibiotics, but I think that's a general prophylactic, not specifically a preventative for poop-borne ailments.

There must be a learnèd treatise somewhere about the bacteria load too, but I imagine it's essentially non-toxic unlike our own.

Mind you, it's not nice when your bird steps-up onto your hand and deposits a squidgy mess!

Or, worse still, flies from the cage straight to your shoulder and leaves green footprints on your clothes! :shock: :lol:

Guest ramagel

Err, no. It isn't nice. Especially the dinner-plate sized splats the macaws hold onto until morning! Fortunately we've tiled floors almost all the way from their sleeping cage to their daytime place - and I've learned that if I bounce them up and down and play games with them all the way they can't concentrate on ... you know what!

ramagel

Ahhh! Ahhhh! Right! Unbleached paper! Newsprint offcuts! I looked for them for AGES and found them very expensive - not to buy, but to get delivered - where do you get yours from, Rubytoo?

If you look locally for anywhere that supplies cardboard boxes, paperbags, etc they usually have it.

We go to a small company on a nearby industrial estate. They always have it in stock. Yes the weight of the packs does make it prohibitive for "posting".

Go to your local fish and chip shop and ask where they get theirs from?

That is what it is, the same stuff.

Sometimes I can buy slightly damaged packs a little cheaper too. (not from the chippy)

Guest ramagel

Excellent advice! I wonder if they'll remember me at the chippy ... I've only been in once (as a treat) since losing 10st.

well i use mine, if i didnt, the birds would chew the newspaper up, leaving a hell of a more mess for mum to clean !

dont really like the thought of them treading in poo either, they dont wash their hands before dinner :?

Mojo and Shinda tend to do most of their poos out of the cage, maybe that's because they're out for several hours a day most days and they choose to poo away from their cage. They always save up their poo overnight and do a big one when I let them out in the morning.

I change the newspaper in their cage twice a day and that's enough to ensure their cage is always clean. I also wipe up about fifteen or so poos a day on and around their playstand or from the kitchen floor below the door! :roll:

Thank God for lino! :lol::lol:

I have some in the shed too, never used them, Charlie rarely ventures downstairs lol but Chi plays down on the floor for ages even when his door is open. He just loves his toys and plays for hours, have to wash them regularly though coz of the poo lol