Sign in to follow this  
Freddie

shingles (can parrots be affected?)

It would appear that i have shingles on my eye, thankfully it is not too uncomfortable at the moment and i am on treatment. at the moment there are no weeping blisters which is when i understand it is most contagious. any ideas what precaustions i need to take with freddie and the other birds please

thanks

Guest eblimegreen

im afraid i dont know the answer to your question but i do hope you get better soon :-)

Guest ramagel

There aren't that many viruses which cross species - maybe Wikipedia is your friend here? I think shingles (Herpes Zoster) used to be associated with farmers and livestock - but they are mammals at least, and it might have been an old wives tale anyway.

Give the vet a bell?

There's a possibility the problem might be them to you - if they are mucky pups and you have broken skin they might pickup bacteria etc from the environment and pass them onto you - but I imagine we have all handled our birds with nicks and cuts and grazes on our hands from time to time anyway ...

just goes to show how much i rate the advice from this site i asked on here never occurred to me to ask the vet have just rung him and waiting for them to call back with an answer.

why didnt i think of doing that !!!!

well no wonder i rate the advice here i have rung the vets twice to ask the question and neither time have they rung me back to answer it, this is not like my vets at all. anyway i rang the vet i used before in an emergency and he didnt feel it would be a problem to freddie

Guest ramagel

Well, err, "didn't feel it would be a problem" isn't exactly the same as "won't be a problem". You are foning an avian vet, aren't you Freddie?

well what he actually said is no that wont be a problem to your bird i just worded it differently. in fact shingles is not contagious to anyone until the blisters start weeping and as yet i have no blisters and because treatment was started so early i am unlikely to just to get the pain and tingling/burning etc. i was just being ultra cautious as anyone on this site knows me to be.

im not getting too close to freddie at the moment because of a stinking cold anyway.

Poor you, you are lucky if it isnt too sore, i had shingle when i was pregnant with my eldest aound my chest area and was in sheer agony and wouldnt take painkillers due to the pregnancy.

Hope that you feel better soon hun