Sign in to follow this  
Liono

mating behaviour question?

Hi guys,

I know there have been threads about mating behaviour but i wanted to pick your brains a bit more!

we moved house on tuesday so not sure if this has anything to do with it but here goes:

Liono [cag] has always had regurgitation and head bobbing periods with me since we've had him but for the last two days he's been climbing all over me, wings low, frantic bobbing and swooping his head from side to side while flapping his wings and regurgitating. It's very different behaviour from the normal regurgitating , he's trying to force food into my mouth and doing this wierd heavy fast breathing with squeaking noises that i've never heard before! he wont let me put him down and just flies straight back over to me. Not really sure what to do because i don't want to leave him in his cage but all this seems to be making him very frustrated and anxious and it's constant from the minute he comes out of his cage until he goes back in so i don't want to make things worse by winding him up by having him out, do you know what i mean?? is this african grey breeding season or something? sorry i'm clueless, was just after some advice because i don't know if i should stop handling him so much for a while? help!

Ellie xx :shock:

I suspect this is happening as a result of the stress to your bird in moving ..... as everything has changed with no explanation he is doing this to get reassurance that his relationship with you is still the same.

I agree - ignore so as not to encourage the behaviour but give extra head tickles, soft words (whatever works for your bird) to provide a sense of caring when he is behaving normally.

Have you re assessed things like how many light/dark hours he is getting.

Perhaps with the moving ( stress and trying to get the place set right) have you had the lights on longer than normal.

Or been moving stuff around maybe making noise that would disturb a quiet rest time.

Make sure it is a good 12 or maybe even a little more, and see if that helps.

Check, but I think I have seen 14 hours in some article somewhere.

And have a check up on what foods yo have been giving him. There may be things you can cut out completely for now that might be helping to trigger this behaviour.

No idea to whether it's moving stress or mating, or both.

But

Good luck

Thanks for the advice peeps :) i'm making sure he has plenty of sleep time and not encouraging the behaviour at all, he's still the same but hopefully like you say it's just the move and he'll settle down soon! it's great to have you guys to ask about these things, really glad of this site! xx

Have you had a chance to read this? ....

TRYING TO ALTER A BIRD'S BEHAVIOUR? a note of hope©:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/7094-trying-to-alter-a-birds-behaviour-a-note-of-hope%c2%a9/

(from the forum's INFORMATION TOPICS© section .... https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/22-parrot-link-information-topics/

why not have a stroll around to see what interests you?)