Sign in to follow this  
safc1983

please please help me....PBFD query

im seriously worried, i think my 18 month old grey has beak and feather disease!! 2 weeks ago i noticed her beak was really long almost like a new one is trying to grow ontop and a few days ago i noticed a very small bald patch on her neck and this morning it is significally bigger!! she does not pluck she is a very happy and looked after cutie, vets in my area are useelss where do i take her (sunderland), i cant get in touch wth her breeder :( her appearance is quite shabby too and shes normally perfect shall i put some photos on so you can have a look?

I'll second that. Don't panic.

You could look here for Avian vets in your area:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/16-avian-vets/

The first I knew that Charley had PBFD was that her feathers started going red all over her body.

If your bird hasn't got any red feathers, the beak problem could be something completely unrelated and treatable.

Look forward to seeing some pics when you've got them loaded.

And "chin up" in the mean time.

Debs x

I changed the title to this thread slightly, in the hope that more experienced peeps would see it!

Sadly it's unlikely that the breeder would be any help unless he/she knew they had a PBFD problem in which case they should not be selling. The feathers may be the onset of a heavy moult.

Hi, there, I don't think you have anything very much to worry about.

I think the beak looks a little odd but mine have gone like that, they usually smooth it down by rubbing on a polly perch.

I agree with David, that your bird is more likely to be starting a moult.

If you are worried, I'd still try to find a good avian vet as close to you as possible and go along for a check up.

But to my untrained eye, I really don't think there is too much of a problem.

Fingers crossed.

Debs x

Before you think the worse there are a number of reason as well as beak and feather that will cause the beak to grow, or maybe a small part has broken off of the top layer and this will make the beak look longer.

If your bird is well and happy I would first make sure he is getting enough calcium and vitamins also that 70% of his diet is fruit and veg (seed only can cause liver problems).

My baby B&G is moulting and she has patches all over her head at the moment babies are messy moulters :lol:

If (and I am only saying IF) it is beak and feather your bird can have many happy years as they do not seem to notice the loss of feathers.

Has any of her feathers changed colour :?: please post some pictures.

Saf, do not get into panic. I have had a really good look at your photo's and would very much doubt your bird has PBFD.

As Jebirds said there are many reasons why a bird may suddenly moult or pull feathers to a particular area. The beak does not look classic PBFD either. Many birds have long beaks that are layered, as many humans have long finger nails. I also see no red or pink feathers.

The first thing you need is to rule out PBFD. As you are so far from a good Avian then why not test using MDS home kit. Having done that you will have a far better idea how to proceed in getting your bird back to normal.

A couple of question.

How old is He/She.

How long have you had Her/Him.

Is there any solid reason other than the loss of feathers that made you suspect.

Try not to worry as your CAG will pickup and if the feather loss is due to stress it will only make things worse.

You have a lot of support and guidence here and some of us have PBFD birds who are living happy lives.

shes just tured 19 month old ive had her since she was 12 weeks, she gets out everyday and has fresh fruit and veg everday, shes extremely happy, loud and has an amazing vocab.

the breeder rang me 6 weeks after getting her saying that her sister had dropped down dead and asked if ours was ok. im sure the breeder said it was down to teflon but m not 100% henc why im trying to contact him

I can understand why you might be worried. I took the liberty of runing your photo's past my Avian. Obviosly he can not diagnose from a photo, but did say she lookrd well.

If PBFD was present in the sibling you should have seen warning signs far sooner than this.

Don;t speculate. Check with the breeder by all means, but only the test will really set your mind at rest. To be honest I doubt a breeder would admit to PBFD knowledge as it would leave them liable.

If its any help, to put your mind at ease a little, my grey also has a bald patch on her neck at the moment But i believe this is due to a moultas new feathers are growing back. Also, I looked after a friends bird a little while back, My greys sibling, who's beak was just as your birds was, & was even flaking a little, like a fingernail would, as it turns out he didnt have a concrete perch or the like, so in just a couple of days with me, he had rubbed his beak a plenty & was back to normal, He went back home to his owner, with a new concrete perch supplied by me & the owner had a flea put in his ear by me lol

hi there just to let you know i took buddy to willows parrotdise last week after she didnt improve and he suspects mites due to crumbling feathers, we took her over with some of her food and he said weve been supplied with off food (aniseed smell) this being the cause of her mites and also fungus on her feet. we are picking up her antibiotics this weekend , mite powder and good food for her, glad ive got this sorted in time that food could have killed her! feel so guilty but so happy she will be ok now! its funny our breeder has changed his number!!

Suki's beak started looking like that, my avian vet gave me biotin for her, just a pinch every day. Her beak is looking great now.

Are you giving your bird any supplements, parrot multi-vits? This will also make a huge difference, a good one will contain calcium too, Greys especially need this.

You can give the suppliments it to them on toast mixed with a bit of peanut butter, I put Suki's in a small spoon of natural fruit baby food. She gulps it down lol

Good luck, I'm sure she is fine ;o)

Oh wow, I've never heard of mites crumbling feathers before? Or fungus on feet?

You can get scaly face and scaly leg though, but this is usually only found in avairy birds, mainly budgies and cockaties? I would be suprised an african grey can get this? If there is fungus on the feet could this be due to bumblefoot? Caused by incorrect perches.

Sorry I have not heard of any other kind of mites, I would be very interested to know if there are though. Anyone?

I really can't see why the breeder whoever he/she may be would possibly be responsible for your parrot having mites or eating off food. Surely 18 months down the line only you can be held accountable for what your parrot eats. Its your responsibility to make sure you feed your bird a high quality seed mix. Also aniseed smell doeasn't mean the seed is off, many seed mixes have aniseed mixed for better gut function. Sorry if i seem abit harsh, but it clearly looks like you are trying to blame the breeder.

The diagnosis just doesn't sound right.........He got mites from the seed????

i know nothing about mites just trusting willows parrotdise (registered bird charity) in what he says hes took in birds for most his life and cared for them. im not blaming breeder im not scared to take responsibility myself thats why i was guilty, but we got all of our "wholesome" food from him and it looked fine to me until willows parrotdise compared it to his, i tried ringing the breeder but hes changed number

The best way to test a seed mix is to sprout some .... a high percentage sprouting shows the mix is in good order and not 'off'. This doesn't tell the quality of the ingredients as a balanced diet but will tell you the freshness of the seeds included.

Sorry to scaremonger - but if my bird had a fungal infection on her feet I'd be off to a vet quick sharp. Fungal spores of any kind can be dangerous to a bird. I'm not disputing Willowparrotdise(?) having taken in birds for years but certain things can only be diagnosed by tests and not a visual look. You also say you bought your 'wholesome' food from your breeder and your bird is now 19 months old - if you've had it that long it could well be off. I buy small and often for mine to ensure its fresh.

Ps - Tory - I believe Bumblefoot (ulcerative pododermatitis) is a bacterial infection in the feet.

The food I feed my greys has aniseed added and to say a feed smelling of aniseed is off is wide of the mark I'm afraid. It does of course depend on how long you've had the food etc.

You must take your parrot to a proper avian vet for diagnosis and then the correct treatment can be prescribed. I'm not dissing Willow's Parrotdise at all - but you need to be sure the antibiotics are the correct treatment for whatever he/she may or may not have and should really be coming through a vet shouldn't they? If incorrect they could do far more harm than good.

For mites, if they are present, you would most probably be best using an ivermectin spot on treatment rather than a powder.

The crumbling feathers could well be nothing - ie how greys naturally moult or could be a sign of something more serious that a proper work up would find.