Sign in to follow this  
Freddie

can parrots eat all nuts?

as freddie no longer has peanuts (yehay) but now loves almonds and cashew nuts (thanks Jebirds, :D ) i bought him some shell on nuts these include walnuts (which he wont touch even if i crack them for him) pecans, hazelnuts and almonds. are they all safe for him to eat?? they are human grade bought in sainsburys or similar place

he still calls his almonds and cashews peanuts though :D

yes i believe all nuts are fine, the best are almonds, high in calcium, the worst if there is a worst is walnuts, just remember the high fat content,

Why are Walnuts worse? Higher fat content?

no they are still a good food, esp for the macaws but tend to have virtually no vit e compared with other nuts. i used to feed only walnuts but i now feed a mixed nut selection with an emphasis on almonds.

my greys have 2 halves walnut 3 almonds 3 cashews per day in with their seed at night my amazon will only eat walnuts so he is only allowed 2 halves a day my ekkie wont touch any nuts as yet macaws have 6 halves 6 almonds 3 cashews 6 macadamian in with their seed at night sometimes they have brazils if they eat them i agree i always ration walnuts but give almonds freely just find the above is the amount they eat normally

I always give Charlie CAG about 3 ir 4 almonds a day for the calcium and half a walnut, Chi caique will not eat almonds but has a full walnut a day, they also get pine nuts and hazelnuts in with their seed

freddie loves almonds and cashews but not walnuts so no problem there, gonna try him with a pecan later, might fight him for i though lol

Pharrell just has almonds as i believed other nuts have too high a fat content and arent too good for ekkies, although Pharrell always knicks the little nuts out of the cockatiel mix :roll: .........not sure what those nuts are but he loves them :D