Sign in to follow this  
jessica23

He's Home! (Hugo Lory)

I picked me little Black Capped Lory up yesterday, he is too cute!! Still very young so has some feathering up and growing to do but he's already climbing on the perches (he has no balance at all lol) and playing with the toys :D He has a very healthy appetitie, he's like a little piggie, just wolfs it down :lol: he loves his food!!

Thanks!

I cant wait til he grows a bit more and gets all his feathering through (he still has some to come around his neck and on his bum). He is such a nosey little guy and into everything! His legs aren't too strong yet so the perches are right at the bottom of the cage and he's had a go at perching on them! He's missing part of a toe sadly (his parents must have bitten it off when they attacked him and his sister) so thats not helping with his perching practice im sure lol But he's doing well. Loves his food, thats the main thing!

lol! He is a tiny baby and i know what you mean, he really does look like a little babbie!! He's so cute!!

One question... He is not fully feathered yet, most of the feathering is there, but just some on his back and bum is to come and these seem really uncomfortable. He preens a lot to break the pins but i do feel sorry for him! Is there anything i can do to make him a bit more comfortable? I readb somewhere about putting him in some warm water to soften the pins, is that right??

Hugo is beautiful, I hope you have a long and happy life together.

Just give him gentle mistings, regularly, and keep helping him preen.

Make sure the room is warm and no draughts until he is dry.

See if he likes being sprayed, I would not soak him, unless he seems to like it. Even just a few gentle spritz's a day should help.

I am not sure about putting him in warm water, not sure what you mean:)

They aren't put in warm water in the wild lol.

Oh and try offering him a shallow dish to bath in, he may do it himself, but very shallow.

Good luck.

The warm water thing was something i read, maybe even on here, i cant remember. A woman was hand rearing a cockatoo baby and it was having a hard time with its pin feathers so she would put some warm water in the sink and let baby sit in that while she rubbed the pin feathers to soften them. It was a while ago that i read it and i cant seem to find it again!

n

I havent tried spraying him, my tiel has a screaming fit if i do it to her so i'll see what baby makes of it lol

I have been helping with the pin feathers on his head and neck and he loves that. He was rolling on his back yesterday so i could do under his chin too, and he was "preening" my hands! He's very sweet!

I put a shallow bowl of water in his cage and he just ignored it so obviously didnt know what to do with it, bless him.

I do not know what Lories prefer, but I would not leave the water , but start by using it out of the cage when you get him out?

Then you can "play" with it, and get him possibly interested that way?

Float a bit of green leaf or something in it to get his interest.

Could not find the post either.

But you can get little mini spray bottles for cosmetics, from places like Superdrug and Boots stores. They are quite nice as they have fine spray, and don't get such a big area wet like bigger bottles.

You can still spray overhead..but it is hard on your hands lol.

That story i found could have been on another website, or possibly i just dreamed that i read it lol

I did actually have a spare spray bottle (we use them for the dog shows to cool them down in the summer!!) and i sprayed him weith a little bit of water and he seemed to enjoy it, he stood up and flapped his wings as i sprayed - he was either enjoying it or protesting lol

The feathers on his bum are just coming through and they are really bothering him, poor little man. He keeps crying as he preens them. Hopefully they will be through very soon and he will be happier! He LOVES having the flaky pin feathers rubbed though, lies on his back while i do his belly, tail and wings and goes to sleep when i do his head and neck lol Such a fussy baby!

Well, from my limited experience of lories they are fantastic birds Elle. They make wonderful pets if you can accomodate them appropriately so they dont ruin your house lol I'd never thought of having a lory as a pet before but after having Joey, the little Rainbow lorikeet i just cant imagine not having one! Every lory i have met has just had such a sweet, fun character!! Even Hugo Lory's parents who are wild caught so not at all tame, are very fun and entertaining - they chat to each other in dutch and do synchronized perch bopping and dancing lol!!

I think they are great birds..............i think its the projectile poo that probably has stopped me from getting one :shock: !!!!! lol

Mind you, saying that, my little conure has been doing that lately cos he got a new cage and he lifts up his bum to aim it away from the cage so that it goes on my floor instead :roll:

How old would you say he is then??

The breeder contacted me mid October when he was 6 weeks old so 12 weeks would be about right?? He was hatched 6th Sept.

He's definately fully weaned though as he feeds himself just fine and has a nibble on his fruit and stuff lol His legs aren't too strong yet, he can perch on a finger but struggles to grip on the wooden perches (was advised to put a grippier one in which i've done now lol). He's missing a toe which doesnt help, bless him!

I dont know what you're getting at though David... quite obviously the bird IS fully weaned as he has fed himself perfectly well all the time i have had him and if he wasn't weaned he wouldn't be doing that.