Sign in to follow this  
leigh73

Fingers crossed for Max please

My beloved dog Max is on his way to the vets as his back legs just seemed to have given up on him, he is 13 and a little cracker :cry: :cry:

please keep your fingers crossed for him

You know I kept my fingers crossed for Max today, and from what I understand he is suffering from Arthritis which is heartbeaking to see, but there are ways to help him apart from the Metacam and here are some tips [and I am sure that there will be some others on here who's dog also suffers and will also be able to help & support you hun xx

Most large dogs develop arthritis as they age. Although there are no miracle cures, much can be done to make old dogs with arthritis more comfortable and improve their lives.

Soft comfortable place to sleep

Your dog's bed should be as comfortable as your own. An old mattress or soft couch is excellent. Soft foam rubber at least four inches thick is good. Scout around for an old baby mattress. Whatever arrangement you use, it's much easier for large dogs to get up and down if you raise the bed about a foot off the floor.

Gentle, regular exercise

Provide limited, gentle exercise. Games such as chasing a ball should be discouraged.

Hydrotherapy is becoming more common for exercising dogs with arthritis. This involves purpose built pools that allow safe, carefully controlled swimming.

Swimming helps to build up muscle mass, which is useful for supporting joints. It is a low impact form of exercise so it won't aggravate your dog's joint pain.

Diet and Weight control

Older large-breed dogs tend to be overweight. This discourages them from getting the exercise they need and aggravates their arthritis. The more weight on those poor old joints, the harder it is to move around. You should be able to easily easily locate each of your dog's ribs when you feel for them. See canine body condition. Any "light" diet is helpful.

Both Hill's (Rx j/d) and Purina (JM Joint Mobility) make formulas specifically intended for arthritic dogs. Based on the published nutritional information, both look like excellent choices. Neither is particularly low in calories or does anything special for the teeth, but they have added a lot of the most important joint health supplements directly to the food. If you have your dog's weight and dental health under control and don't want to mess with supplements, these are excellent choices.

Supplements for joint health

There are hundreds of products for animals and people intended to relieve arthritis by promoting joint and cartilage health. Their active ingredients usually include glucosamine, chondroitin or perna caniculus, sometimes creatine, and often an assortment of miscellaneous vitamins and minerals. Their use has become nearly universal among veterinarians. No safety problems have arisen, and they are generally quite effective. Every dog showing even the earliest signs of arthritis should be receiving one of these products, as well as Omega 3 supplementation (fish oil capsules or cod liver oil). Diet changes work best in the early stages of arthritis, while there is still reasonable joint function left to preserve.

Hope this helps a little and you know where I am if you need me xxx

Big hugs to you and Max xxx