MadMudMob™

Plucked parrots ..... support thread

Thanks guys!

He is doing well...although he does the dreaded "oh look at me, she hasn't let me out...I am just going to start plucking this here leg"

Gobble Gobble.

"What? You only leave me out 12 hours today I'm gonna start snipping, mwahahaha".

He's very manipulative!

ok i really hope im not tempting fate by posting on here but many of you may remember freddie started plucking/snipping this is a picture of him at his worst

Posted Image

and this is one taken today

Posted Image

i appreciate the pictures arent brilliant but you get the idea, there are more in my photobucket.

i am sure that this problem could show up again at any time but keeping my fingers crossed.

id like to thank jebirds for her help and support and for keeping me sane during the worst of the problem

fingers crossed freddie doesnt restart but if he does well i love him with or without his clothes on lol

ok well the time from the first photo is probably about 9 months, having said that he has had the feathers back for quite a few weeks now but i didnt want to tempt fate by posting them.

how has it happened, well a very clever very lovely lady made some suggestions which i have followed to the letter. June is convinced Freddie is a girl and that this is all breeding and hormone related.

the practical things have been shortening his daylight time, restricting touch to his head area, a special mix on his toast in the morning, cider vinegar in his water and in his spray bottle and plenty of sprays.

now it is not cured he still does snip a few feathers now and again but no where near as many as before and as i say it may all start up again at any time

Jebird is one incredibly knowledgeable lady and i thank her from the bottom of my heart for all the advice and for making me feel better about myself when i was convinced it was all my fault

Well done Freddie looks great agree June is so knowledgable and patient and she herself tries everything possible but i am pleased you are not beating yourself up well done both.June has our Charlie now and hopefully she will post some pics as to how he has come on

im certain june told me how much cider vinegar to put in his drinking water, i no longer measure it i got used to how much it looked, its about a teaspoon, i dont know all it does but it helps prevent fungal infections in the intestinal tract but maybe if june is reading this she could tell us some more

i did forget one more very important thing and that was the wonderful toys i have bought freddie loves them

Fantastic improvement. Thanks for the tips i'm going to try these with Jenny, she has an aloe spray and has obviously changed home, her feathers are coming back but she will snip one now and then. It is interesting in how long it has taken as i keep thinking she is always going to have bald patches.

Well done Freddie keep it up =D>

:lol: Freddie looks great,

The work was done by you Debs, I can only suggest things that i believe will help.

Vinegar is one of the safest things to use when your bird has a feather problem, it changes the PH of the blood,kills fungus and all kinds of nasties, it has been used for thousands of years, I have always used it for my horses and show sheep when I kept them (its great for foot rot in sheep and foot and tendon strains in horses as well as rain rash on TBs, dogs coats etc) infact it is as good for people as animals.

Cutting down a birds waking hours to 11/12 at the most is good for all birds, ensuring that your birds gets 12 hours good peaceful sleep to give you a much happier bird, (just like children) :lol:

Making sure you have the right diet for your bird is as important as them getting enough sleep.

Because our birds do not have to spend their days looking for food we have to give them something to do with all the time they have left, safe chewing toys are very important (which is what Yvonne from "pine for parrots" sell ) fresh tree branches, grasses,weeds,flowers etc are what i give mine, ......yes it makes a right mess :lol: but I have always found with children and parrots the more mess they are making the more fun they are having. :twisted:

:D I am so pleased for you both. It is wonderful news and I am glad to hear you are not a gibbering wreck anymore:-)

Even if you have little glitches backwards ( though I hope it never happens) but you know now that you and Freddie can do it.

:)

Here i a picyure of Marion's Charlie and his new feathers.

Marion will need to put the before picture to show what he looked like to start with.

There are more of Charlie on my photobucket.

Posted Image