MadMudMob™

Plucked parrots ..... support thread

anyone else still having plucking issues?

Limey has loads more toys, things he can forage through and strip down, harrisons food, variety of cooked pulses and beans, fresh veg and fruit, showers, play time, avix spray (aloe vera).

Won't play or eat Harrisons...

...plucking is just getting worse... :twisted:

ive bought some palm oil today i havent got any plucked birds but i have been researching palm oil and its supposed to be very good for plucked birds give it a try as it is part of there natural diet in the wild not the oil but the nuts but this palm oil is whats in the nuts

ive bought some palm oil today i havent got any plucked birds but i have been researching palm oil and its supposed to be very good for plucked birds give it a try as it is part of there natural diet in the wild not the oil but the nuts but this palm oil is whats in the nuts

thank you for the tip - is this a dietary supplement in food or water or something topical?

just to update you all on freddie, up until Friday his chest feathers had grown back to about 2/3rds covered. I spent the day with him on friday and he kept trying to mate with me doing all the wing dropping and grunting, i then went to work on saturday afternoon leaving him with hubby, he came out and was his usual self, when i got back he had snipped most of these feathers off. A day or two before i was just thinking i should take a photo and post it then he did this.

he is totally himself eating well chatting etc (apart from todays beak injury), it was heart breaking to see, id been so proud of him letting the others grow back.

He has not plucked anymore then before and June (Jebirds) has now told me that he may do this a few times before i get him to stop.

He still has all the stuff i was giving him before including palm oil and nothing else has changed. the only connection i can make is the mating attempts the day before as I was originally told it could be hormone related and connected to him/her being in breeding condition.

still it matters not what he looks like i love him with all my heart.

just an update...I went away for 5 days at christmas and wondered whether Limey's plucking would be better when I was not there. When I got back he was so pleased to see me, got my usual flurry of excited "hellos" as i got back and swirly eyes and tail wagging. And, lo and behold...although no new feathers loads of little white tufts of downy feathers (but still a massive bald patch on his wing). there was regrowth on the back of his neck too. I asked Roy and he said that there had been none of the downy feathers in the bottom of the cage. i've been back about 5 days and there's now lots of white fluff in the bottom of the cage. He gets less attention when I am not there but plucks less. So really I just have to ignore him? Well that's just no fun for either of us. bizarre. And I feel bad that I am making him pluck! he did it before he came to me but it's worse the last few months...surprisingly only since I've been trying to fix the problem. Life is strange. I've laid off it, trying to be not fussed about it so he doesn't pick up the worried vibes but in all honesty whenever i look at him i feel disapointment and pity that he looks like a oven ready turkey. maybe he picks up on that. I love him so much but shouldn't as I'm only fostering him but his owner has said he can't take him back with his terminal illness. But he is supposed to be in Roy's care...I just sort of took over and fell in love with this slightly daft plucked little man :(

an update on freddie hopefully with some clearer pictures, he is still snipping, i dont think he plucks them but as he is also moulting at the moment it is hard to tell, he is very scruffy but still totally adorable.

Posted Image

sorry can someone resize this for me lol :D

that was from a couple of months ago and to look at him now i think the feathers on his wings have grown back quite a lot since then, however h is now moulting so its hard to tell what he is getting rid of and what is going on its own on the feather front

yes he loves trying to chew my desk pleas dont look at the dust i have just seen on the desk and computer monitor oops, he is incredibly soft with just his down feathers very snuggly

Hes beautiful looks like our new rescue hes still chewing his feathers had 4 tail feathers one day then just the shafts left am taking him to the vets to have the old shafts pulled out to see if this helps.This has been sucessful with 2 others so fingers crossed

Hi all,

Had a really upsetting couple of days. We got Chewie a whole bunch of new toys, shreddy things, interesting foods etc etc etc a couple of weeks ago and he has barely touched them. He ocassionally nudges them with his beak on passing, but he seems to not really want to play with them. He has never been into playing with his toys very much, so I didn't really expect him to be really into them - more than this would have been nice though.

I got a bitter tasting spray (especially for parrots) which he HATES. It's really upsetting to see him that distressed twice a day. This morning he flew all the way out of the living room up the stairs along the hallway and hid in our bedroom. He is NOT a parrot who likes to fly, so that was upsetting for us.

The last two days he has gone to town on his tummy. It was nearly all there two days ago, and now he is nearly completely naked on his chest. This is with him being sprayed two or three times a day.

It's so hard for me to understand, because he is doted on and always has been. I come home from work every lunch time to see them just as normal, and they have the same food and a good rotation of toys. I am considering fitting him with a collar made of plumbers foam pipe covering.

I guess I'm just feeling really rubbish and down about it all at the moment.

xxx

Hi beakasaurus it is the most upsetting thing to see your beloved baby plucking his feathers but more so for you than him.I have tried the bitter beak before and find it no use others may have found different.Try a light misting with a pump spray far more gentle and while he is in his cage so he dosent fly away and you both end up getting stressed.Good luck

Well Charlie had the old shafts pulled out of his tail 2 weeks ago you can see photos in my photo bucket he has 6 newones growing looking good fingers crossed

Posted Image

Awwww! Little baby bum! :D:D

My name's Gemma and I'm a Researcher at Real Life Media which is an independent supplier of films to The One Show, BBC 7pm.

We are currently producing several items for the series that will look at a variety of pet behaviour problems and the treatments and causes.

I would be extremely grateful if people could get in touch with me who are having problems with their parrots and are at the point of seeking professional help. Understanding that parrot frustration can lead to extreme preening and therefore feather loss I am looking for an owner whose parrot is suffering from this. We are working closely with Dr. Neil Forbes and would ideally like to speak to owners that live no more than a 2.5 hour drive from Swindon.

If you are happy for me to contact you via telephone please email me your contact details and I will give you a call. Unfortunately we may not be able to film all of those that come forward and I would like to apologise for this in advance.

Thank you for your time and I hope to hear from a few members in the near future.

Best wishes,

After some traumatic events recently want to show a bit of good news. Limey was a mega feather plucker and after over a year in our care is looking a lot better. He isn't perfect, but I am so proud of him for what he's achieved. He was so very loved in his previous home but ruled the roost and would pluck if left alone as was the only bird. He's pretty much learned to live amongst other birds, and for the first time in 15 years he's grown his feathers back. Good diet, fruit and veg (he hates his veg but I am trying) and a little less of Limey being the centre of the universe, lots of showers and he is much better.

Below is from Jan 2009 and he looks quite bad. I was so stressed at this time trying to "help":

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39741550@N02/3655285750/

again looking terrible:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39741550@N02/3654475597/

getting there...underside not great but much better on top:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39741550@N02/3654486883/

Looking pretty last month! his condition isn't fabulous but much less greasy and dirty looking and he's stopped plucking, allowed the feathers to actually grow back in! SO HAPPY!:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39741550@N02/3654521237/

and:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39741550@N02/3654522091/in/photostream/

After some traumatic events recently want to show a bit of good news. Limey was a mega feather plucker and after over a year in our care is looking a lot better. He isn't perfect, but I am so proud of him for what he's achieved. He was so very loved in his previous home but ruled the roost and would pluck if left alone as was the only bird. He's pretty much learned to live amongst other birds, and for the first time in 15 years he's grown his feathers back. Good diet, fruit and veg (he hates his veg but I am trying) and a little less of Limey being the centre of the universe, lots of showers and he is much better.

Below is from Jan 2009 and he looks quite bad. I was so stressed at this time trying to "help":

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39741550@N02/3655285750/

again looking terrible:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39741550@N02/3654475597/

getting there...underside not great but much better on top:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39741550@N02/3654486883/

Looking pretty last month! his condition isn't fabulous but much less greasy and dirty looking and he's stopped plucking, allowed the feathers to actually grow back in! SO HAPPY!:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39741550@N02/3654521237/

and:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39741550@N02/3654522091/in/photostream/

That's quite some improvement there! :D