MadMudMob™

Plucked parrots ..... support thread

(With thanks to Freddie for suggesting this support thread)

As a start, here's an Info Topic on this subject ....
PLUCKING AND/OR SNIPPING FEATHERS©:
https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/6673-plucking-andor-snipping-feathers/
and
for a better understanding of feathers in general ....
FEATHERS - WHAT, WHERE & WHY©:
https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/11067-feathers-what-where-why/
(from the forum's INFORMATION TOPICS© section .... https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/22-parrot-link-information-topics/
why not have a stroll around to see what interests you?)

The idea of this thread is to share ideas, generally help each other out even if it is just by offering good vibes for all parrots suffering this affliction and general support for their worried owners ..... here's hoping every instance has a happy outcome

Please link to any thread you may be discussing your plucking/snipping problem on elsewhere on the forum to help readers find the pertinent posts and keep information together ...... it all helps future readers

Guest showgirl

As many of you will know we had a rescue that was a severe plucker..in 7m she went from looking like this...

Posted Image

Posted Image

to this...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sadly a few weeks after these last pics were taken Bella died from an embolism late one evening..but her legacy still lives on and hopefully other birds and their owners can benefit from what we learned from her. RIP Bella.

If i can offer any help/support thoughts..please dont hesitate to contact me.

Amongst lots of other things, we sprayed Bella down many times a day with Listerine (mouthwash) and hot water..a damp parrot generally will not pluck..they tend not to like the feel of damp feathers in their beaks. It was 5mls of Listerine (must be the original yellow coloured one) to a litre of hot water...i used to just zap the water/listerine mix in the microwave and kept spraying her throughout the day and into the early evening. I also used Zolcal D and Avimix...bottom well as introducing fruit/veg etc to her diet..often in smoothie form as this was the only way she would accept it to begin with.

:arrow: https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/8869-listerine/

No, no, thanks to you for the idea Freddie :)

Have always said it's the ideas, suggestions, experiences, questions and input from members makes this (I reckon) the best resource of parrot knowledge anywhere on the 'net .... and more gets added every day

Posted Image

what an inspiration Bella is, and how beautiful. a plcuking bird is heart wrenching to see, i feel so guilty everytime i look at freddie im always looking for what i have or havent done for him i never dreamed i would have a bird that plucked. parrot care is such an emotional roller coaster.

whether freddies plucking is hormone related only time will tell, even if it proves that is what it is i will never ever take a fully feathered bird for granted again

Freddie's thread :arrow: https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/19129-now-im-really-worried/

Charlie has a patch of feathers on his chest that he has plucked ever since we got him, my vet says that it could be because he is a she and they pluck there for sitting on the eggs?????, this isnt an avian vet just an interested vet who hasnt actually seen Charlie it just came up in conversation one day when i was there with the dogs.

He doesnt touch any other feathers and is otherwise happy and healthy but every now and then these feathers disappear, it is only certain times of the year.

Anyone with any experience of this, you advice would be helpful

Guest showgirl

I know of several female parrots who do this when they come into breeding condition..the area doesnt tend to get any larger and really doesnt need any 'treatment' as such..sometimes just changing the light/dark hours slightly can ease them through this.

Charlie has a patch of feathers on his chest that he has plucked ever since we got him, my vet says that it could be because he is a she and they pluck there for sitting on the eggs?????, this isnt an avian vet just an interested vet who hasnt actually seen Charlie it just came up in conversation one day when i was there with the dogs.

He doesnt touch any other feathers and is otherwise happy and healthy but every now and then these feathers disappear, it is only certain times of the year.

Anyone with any experience of this, you advice would be helpful

Calla has done this every moult since her first moult. It started with a large pin feather that was driving her mad. She chewed a small wound around it and before the vet had chance to pull it (there was a slight infection) she did it herself.

We have the same thing every year but now it almost seems like she's like it all the time. Healthy and happy in all other respects.

Now the gloves are coming off and we WILL get it sorted. With this thread now opened and other people experiencing similar things I'm sure we can all help each other find a way of getting them sorted once and for all!

Sue that is exactly what June felt Freddie was doing, although he had plucked some top feathers from his shoulders legs and back.

June recommended reducing his daylight hours and protein to make him think its winter not breeding season and this appears to be working.

He although June thinks from the piccies is a she (i will always see him as Freddie boy) was 3 in may so this is the first year he would have been old enough to come into breeding condition.

he has never touched any of his flight feathers, or tail and there are down feathers all over him (as someone put it he looks like he has his underwear on lol)

I did have Freddie checked over by an avian vet who gave him a very thorough physical examination although did not do a blood test and gave him a full bill of health, and he certainly is full of beans in to everything, eating everthing etc etc.

the proof of the pudding will be if he lets these feathers grow back and doesnt repluck i guess, and if he does it again this time next year i shall not panic so much lol :D

hope this helps Sue June has been amazing as usual

Charlie was about 5 when we got him last year and he only ever touches these feathers so that is probably what it is with him. Like you he will always be a

he to me but we have long suspected that he is in fact a she by the mating behaviour he shows when with my eldest son who he seems to have chosen as his mate lol

This is Jack Jack and he came to me when he was 2 years old and had been like this since he was 7 months old

Posted Image

and this was him after he had been with me for about 2 months

Posted Image

we do have the occasional wobble and he will shred his gorgeous tail but rome wasn't built in a day

hi all dont know how you do it i am devastated horace is probably plucking his feathers, he has stopped bathing so now i have to spray him daily which he hates, i have just read a story on the dairy page, she changed the birds water to bottled , horace has always had tap water but even i wont drink it since we moved , so i will change him to bottled tomorrow and see what happens.

have added some pics of horace taken today

beverley

just to let you know horace hasnt pulled anymore feathers out today and he has been alone since 8 .30 till 4pm he still isnt bathing so a daily spray is the latest commotion we are having as he dont like it

he lookst was just a hick-up very bedraggelled (sp) and raggy at the moment .

hopefully it was just a hick-up and he will be ok

beverley

hi folks, just an update only a couple of downy feathers today , horace is happily munching on his millet spray.

he has removed all the fresh fruit out of his dish and scattered it around the cage.

i have stuffed his perch with sweetcorn , its 1 of them pollen perches with holes in , have removed his mirror and put in a his ring perch see how he goes today

beverley

hi all been a few days now and horace has been ok, he has new food loves it espcially the curly bits(from dd) he has a new cage arrangement different set up now so he has to work more than before.

we have found not many shredded feathers and all the new ones are doing fine fingers crossed he sees the vet on tuesday . we having blood test this time just to check everything ok physically with himif that all comes back ok then it must be mental stress with me leving him

will keep you informed

thanks beverley

I posted about my OW amazon Limey, he plucks really badly. I'm trying lots of things, have done lots of research and am stumped. I've "inherited" the problem, so don't have any idea of the original cause. it makes me so sad. he actually looks really irritated by the feathers.

I've tried mite treatment, change of diet, toys, more mental stimulation, showering. NOTHING WORKS. i've got to get him to an avian vet to see if it's a medical problem.

I wrote a huge post about it several months back i'll have to link to it when i find it.

good luck everyone.

on a side note - he's doing really well behaviourally - so that's a bonus!

Limey the Amazon who feather Plucks

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/18628-limey-the-amazon-who-feather-plucks/

edited to add link :) LAM - Moderator

horace has finished at the vets now, all the mite treatment is done , his feathers are comming back , but hopefully he will leave them alone. he has started to bathe again not everyday like he used to but we are getting there.

we have held off on his friend until we know what is wrong, the vet did say he is also treating a too that is mutilating its self badly, it is wearing a collar constantly now to prevent it.

will keep you informed

beverley