P-and-s

Merlin and Charlie

Picture this:- Merlin is sitting on his swing nice and quiet.

Charlie is coming out with all kinds of sounds.

Merlin: (talking to Charlie) says : shut up

Charlie: Still being noisy

Merlin: (talking to Charlie) says : shut up

Charlie: Still the same

Merlin: (talking to Charlie) says : Quiettttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Charlie: Takes no notice.

This happens every day.

Charlie is really settled now and is coming to us more and more.

Guest eblimegreen

I love it when they tell eachother off :-) I bet you can't help but laugh

how long have you had Charlie for?

I love it when they tell eachother off :-) I bet you can't help but laugh

how long have you had Charlie for?

Charlie was a rehome. She is about 6-8 years old.

She came into our home to keep Merlin company in January.

She is such a beautiful bird and is learning all the time.

susie

It's been a very long time since we updated this thread, mainly because there hasn't been anything much to say. Life just goes on, much like parrots fly round and round. ;D

We have had something of a break-through with Charlie in the last few weeks though.

She has always tended to favour me rather than Susie and would go mad, skreetching and marching up and down the perch when I left the house to go to work, etc, but that was it, she would not allow us to get near her and certainly not allow physical contact for years ( literally), apart from very occasionally landing on our heads for a few seconds before taking off again.

Then some while ago she started to allow us, and me in particular, to scratch her head through the bars of the cage, which was major progress. However, there was still NO way that she would step up on to an arm, and she still had a mortal dread of anything long and stick like ( we have a suspicion that somewhere in her previous life, she might have been hit or at least threatened ).

Anyway, a month or two back, whenever I left the dining room to go to the kitchen, she suddenly started started following me and landing on my head. Yes, I know that is reckoned to be a bad thing to allow them to do, but after almost 7 years it is a major step forward and certainly not something to be discouraged.

Our hallway is quite dark but with a glazed front door facing south, so it is very bright at one end. Charlie has always had a "thing" about flying out there and almost crashing, before turning and hurtling back ( think the light-dark disorientates her a bit), so we tend to try to keep the doors shut. However a couple of weeks ago she flew out, almost crashed and as a result landed on top of a an ornamental figurine. I went to get her off it and gently put my arm in front of her. Normally that was enough to make her take off immediately, but this time, somewhat hesitantly, she put one foot on my arm!! I stopped breathing as she leaned forward, got a grip on my sleeve with her beak and climbed onto my arm and stayed there as I walked carefully back to the dining room!!!

The same thing has happened again two or three times since, and although she still backs away most of the time, it is major progress.

Merlin is still Merlin. Sits around and does nothing at all most of the time, but turn your back for more than a few seconds and he's biting something! Keyboards, Sky remotes, mobiles...anything with buttons basically - wouldnt we all love to know why they do that??

Philip

Edited by P-and-s

Love the update on the 'other' Merlin and Charley :-*

My Merlin has taken nearly nine years to actively seek out my company. He now regularly comes and sits on my shoulder or let. Still doesn't appreciate scritches though ::)

Charley is still my darling - just wish she would leave my mobile alone >:D

Wow, well done for letting her get to it in her own time, I think that's just so lovely to hear, please keep the updates going. 

We have similar with B&G Lou, a traumatised 20 week old that we paid full price to get hold of 5 or 6 years ago (he was HR by my friend and she is magic with any bird), the person who'd bought him just didn't know parrots.  He joined a harlequin of same age who is vibrant, bossy and very, very clever, consequently he's henpecked most of the time and always comes second to her (her rules not ours).  Prior to us getting him he'd had his wing feathers hacked off with a breadknife for taking flight from a shoulder at an outside fair, each year he's annihilated them, completely chewed and plucked them out so cannot fly.  Just this last few months he's got more trusting with us and less nippy, will allow fingers to get past bars for a tickle without fear of amputation.  We are all holding our breathe because the new feathers although still coming through are not so badly chomped (up to now), we would just love him to be able to fly, he sometimes tries a belly flop from the Starlight stand, both heart breaking and worrying but watch this space!