Sign in to follow this  
Pottys Mum

If you lose a parrot in Gloucestershire

Thanks for maryrose for this very helpful information:

May I suggest start on the internet right away with http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk, which I believe will run lost and found ads free, and should cover the Citizen/Echo in Tewks.

The other paper everyone used to get and read when I lived there was the freebie Admag.

Teckles is the animal shelter near Gloucester, Whitminster i think, and there's another in Cheltenham.

There is also an avian vet in Stroud, and just to cover all bases, I'd get in touch with the National Birds of Prey Centre in Newent, as all sorts of birds get taken there.

Have a look in the Citizen for a column by Louise Brockbank, who is involved with a wildlife rescue place in Cirencester, but she was at Hartpury until not long ago - she has an ear to the ground.

And there used to be some kind of parrot rescue place out at Twyning, just across the river from Tewks...I don't know if it still exists. Suggest go to the pubs there and ask!

Get some posters printed with pics of the bird, and take them to all pet shops, bird food shops, the garden centre, greengrocers, the swimming pool, churches, scouts, the theatre, library, doctors, hospital, Abbey shop, everywhere!

Put postcards up on telegraph poles - cheap and effective, and if you use a marker pen they survive wet weather.

Farm suppliers - used to be one at Stoke Orchard, otherwise, there's one at Upton on Severn, Gloucester at the end of Southgate Street, the big pet shop near Quedgeley, another in cheltenham near Sainsbury's on the Tewks Rd, and the Ponderosa Bird Avieries behind a garden centre near Staverton Airport - they have parrots and are very knowledgeable.

You could also put something in Trade-it and Adtrader, Preloved and Oodle online.

Another place worth alerting is Birdland at Bourton on the Water, as they might be contacted by a finder.