Sign in to follow this  
glitterface

Should I get my cockatiel rehomed??

Hello all, I need some advice please.

We have owned our cockatiel Dusty for 10 years now. He was our first bird.. we aren't experienced bird keepers or anything like that..basically we were given him by a family friend who was moving and couldn't take him with them and asked if we would give him a home (they weren't really bird loving people anyway and I think just wanted rid of him).

He is at least 12 years old but the people who gave him to us didn't know his age. For the most part of the ten years we have had him he has been a pleasure..however lately he is becoming increasingly difficult to live with.

Basically his whole manner has changed over the past couple of years. He is very aggressive and extremely noisy, he squeals almost constantly and its very upsetting. I would say this first started around two year ago after we rebuilt our home and his surroundings changed...but he is definately getting worse with time. In the beginning putting a blanket over his cage would quieten him and we'd remove this once he quietened down. Now it seems nothing will quieten him. He still gets plenty of time out of his cage everyday but even when he is out of it he will still squeal, sometimes he just climbs back inside his cage on his own and continues to squeal. He always has fresh food/water/treats and toys. Even putting a blanket on his cage rarely quietens him. In the morning as soon as he hears movement coming from upstairs he starts... He is kept in a lively family room as he was before we refurbished..once he started getting restless and noisy I have tried settling him in different rooms or quieter ones but it doesn't make any difference.

I have asked for advice and have been told he needs careful taming and training but unfortunately I feel I really don't have the time nor expertise to do this. I think he needs an experienced bird owner with plenty of patience and knowledge to turn him back into the pleasant pet he once was. I live in the North East. Do you think I should make a post to get him re-homed on this website? I just wanted some advice before I go straight into it....

Thanks in advance :)

Posted Image

to the Parroty Place, Glitterface. Loads to share, learn and enjoy Posted Image

You'll notice many of us have a photobucket link under our posts - Below is an easy how-to on setting pics and/or vids up to share with us all:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/index.php?topic=26851.0

Here's our section of Information Topics©:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/22-parrot-link-information-topics/

Also a variety of topics you may like to wander through:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/6216-welcome-info-pack%c2%a9/

Please, feel free to ask anything you would like more info about or hear other's experiences of. We are proud of our friendliness and sense of community and welcome all who join us whether an experienced parrot keeper, breeder, hobbyist, one-bird owner or researching parrots as a possible addition to your life

Posted Image

I am sorry you and your bird are not having the best of times.

Cockies are very sociable and often do well with a friend of their own species - have you thought perhaps he is lonely and might benefit from a friend to live with him?

Thank you for your kind welcome Mob. I did wonder about getting him a friend but was worried this might make him even worse..and then I may end up with two unhappy birds as opposed to one?

I know its not quite the same but last year I looked after a friends budgie while they were on holiday and I brought its cage into the same room as Dusty and tried letting them of the cage together at the same time. But he showed no interest at all and just acted as his noisy usual self! Do you think its just with age that he is getting irritable? The squealing really is starting to become unbearable. I wouldn't want to pass him on to anyone other than an experienced bird lover because I'm scared some people would mis-treat him or do something awful because of the way he acts..it can really drive some people crazy!!

I do understand the risk that he may not get on with another bird - I'm afraid only you really know him well enough to be able to take a guess at that.

The link below is mainly meant for the bigger birds (Cockies are usually far easier as they are more sociable especially with other Cockies) but you might find it useful to have a read through ....

INTRODUCING A SECOND BIRD©:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/6090-introducing-a-second-bird/

(from the INFORMATION TOPICS© section: https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/22-parrot-link-information-topics/)

Hi glitterface, welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry you are having trouble with your 'teil, I know what it's like to have a bird that screams constantly. (A nanday, which in the end we rehomed to someone with another nanday, they are now inseperable and hardly make a noise apparently!)

I agree that he might be lonely and looking for a friend. I don't think his reaction to the budgie is a particularly good indicator as some birds only really notice their own kind. How do you feel about getting another 'teil? If he is as noisy as you say then I would think another bird can only make him quieter - even if they don't become friends just the presence of another bird might help him.

It is a hard decision, especially after you've had him for so long. Whatever you decide, you'll find some great advice on this site and there are people that will help you through it. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I would agree with what has already been said, that another cockateil would probably solve Dusty's squawking problems.

You say he starts when he hears movement on a morning which suggests he's craving more company (assuming his food bowl is already full!). He's instinctively a flock creature who would have other birds constantly around him. With the best will in the world, no human owner can provide that amount of contact. Another of his kind, whether in a nearby separate cage or sharing (cockatiels do tend to take readily to one another) would provide round the clock companionship for both of them.

Good luck.

Thank you all... I will think about getting another bird but it will take some thinking about first I don't want to rush into it and now my circumstances have changed (I have just graduated and am working full time now) I am worried I won't have enough time to give the required attention to both birds. My mum is in the house most days and keeps Dusty company during the day while I'm at work so I will have to ask her thoughts on it!

Thinking about it...he does really love looking at his reflection in a mirror! His whole manner and face changes when he catches a reflection of himself..he has mirrors in his cage but I don't understand why he gets bored of these and seems to prefer mirrors which aren't his like my mums make up mirror! If you try to take it away from him he gets very defensive yet after 10mins of admiring himself in it he will carry on with his squawking habit. Do you think this is a good sign he would take to another bird?. Another funny phase he went through was he loved whistling and looking at a hairbrush we once had! I don't know if he thought it was another bird or something but we've since lost it and he doesnt look at other hairbrushes in the same way.... aren't birds funny things sometimes!!?

I would say Dusty has come to realise the mirrors in his cage don't respond to his attention but when spotting his reflection elsewhere, thinks it may be another bird.

Sounds like he would definitely appreciate a companion. If you are worried about spending less time with him, then the two of them would provide company for one another. This comes from someone who firmly believes why have a lone parrot when you can have two! :D