Sign in to follow this  
jonesey

Parrot eaten Avocado = help!

MadMudMob says: have split this from an older topic as it is important it gets seen by as many as poss as soon as poss

Avocado - highly toxic and rapidly fatal.

ive just cum home from work and my kids have given a quater of avocado to are gray wat can i do please help and is it fatal

yes thank you rang the vets spoke to him and he told me to keep a close eye on him and see if he does any thing diffrent

but everthing seems to be ok after 24 hours the bird only eat a very small bit but i dont no how long it would take to affect him

Was it an Avian vet you spoke to?

I don't think that avocados are instantly poisonous to parrots. I'm glad your bird appears to be OK.

This about avocados

That is correct there are several species of Avocado that grow wild and are regular items in parrot diets ,and it is only the domesticated strains of Avocado that are a problem due to their high fat content . They are not actually poisonous in the true sense of the word , but rather are toxic due to the fat coating the lining of the gut and preventing the absorption of food stuffs !

from this thread

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/16620-need-urgent-help-parrot-eaten-chocolate/

That is correct there are several species of Avocado that grow wild and are regular items in parrot diets ,and it is only the domesticated strains of Avocado that are a problem due to their high fat content . They are not actually poisonous in the true sense of the word , but rather are toxic due to the fat coating the lining of the gut and preventing the absorption of food stuffs !

I have always hesitated to post on this subject as I know a little knowledge can be a very dangerous thing. I learnt long ago from a very experienced breeder of the old school that Avo's can be used to treat gut problems and have seen it feed in small quantities.

I had a CAG which after 2 weeks of Vet treatment had lost more than half it's body weight and was still not holding down most of its food. I knew the outcome and my Avain had said there was no more to be done. I refused a trip to Rainbow bridge.

In desperation I brought it home and fed a little avo before each feed for 2 days.

A week later we returned to the Vet, with Juno perching and 85 gramms heavier to re-test. Juno is now 11 years old and a very happy healthy guy living with his mate.

Several years ago I read an article by an Eclectus breeder in the USA. As I recall, the aviaries were in an area of Avocado trees and the birds ate the fruit which landed on the aviaries.