Sign in to follow this  
nutterly_uts

Help needed with Jazz and a new nice cage :)

So the time has come to get Jazz (African brown head) a new cage, both because I want a cage with external feeders but also to provide a different living space for him.

At this present time, Jazz is still pretty anti-social in terms of contact with people, so I'm looking to get him a cage where he can maybe come out of the inside, but still be on the cage for ease of getting him back to bed - I've had no luck teaching him to step up onto a wooden perch at this point, so I don't want to get him a play stand until I can :)

I believe the bar spacing I need to get him is about 3/8 inch, but as his current cage has about 1" and he's happy/safe in it (its not a cage i'd pick but he's been in it over a year [since before i got him] and so is used to it) so I can go up to 1".

I think a cage like Posted Image will suit Jazz, but I'm finding it hard to find one with the right bar spacing. This one says it has bar spacing of 2cm which is 0.78 of an inch according to the length convertor tool i'm using, but is that going to be too wide still?

Has anyone got a cage like this? How do you/your parrots find it? I know there is the potential for Jazz to not use the part of the cage under the play gym bit, but based on how he moves around his current cage, I think he will use it - particularly if his foragers are there :)

Thanks,

Carla

I expect that you've seen this info but just incase you haven't .............

Small Birds

Finches, Canaries, Parrolets, Parakeets, Lovebirds, Budgies, Cockatiels, Small Conures, & similar sized birds No More Than 5/8" (1.6 cm or 16 mm)

Medium Birds

Conures, Lories, Senegals, Ring Necks, Caiques, Mini Macaws, Pionus, Quakers, Small Cockatoos, & similar sized birds 1/2" to 3/4" (1.3cm or 13 mm to 1.9cm or 19mm)

Large Birds

African Greys, Amazons, Macaws, Cockatoos, Toucans, Hyacinth, Alexandrine Parakeets, Congos, Eclectus, & similar sized birds 3/4" to 1-1/4" (1.9cm or 19mm to 2.5 cm or 25 mm - 3.1cm or 31mm)

from this information topic

CAGE BAR SPACING RECOMMENDATIONS©:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/6275-cage-bar-spacing-recommendations%c2%a9/

Might help?