Sign in to follow this  
Pinfeathers

Advice requested: Ringing white-fronted amazons

Hi! New member here but I am in need of some advice.

I have two white-fronted amazon chicks that might be a few days older than 21 days at present. However having only had experience in the past with cockatiel chicks, could someone please provide some advice on what ring size would be suitable for them? The information in the link of the Parrot Society hasn't helped me, since I'm not exactly familiar in how thick legs and feet are of the species listed :( Also I would like to know if they are still young enough to have a closed ring?

Many thanks in advance!

Orlando

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question but am sure someone who does will be along soon :)

Posted Image

to the Parroty Place, Pinfeathers. Loads to share, learn and enjoy Posted Image

You'll notice many of us have a photobucket link under our posts - Below is an easy how-to on setting pics and/or vids up to share with us all:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/index.php?topic=26851.0

Here's our section of Information Topics©:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/22-parrot-link-information-topics/

Also a variety of topics you may like to wander through:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/6216-welcome-info-pack%c2%a9/

Please, feel free to ask anything you would like more info about or hear other's experiences of. We are proud of our friendliness and sense of community and welcome all who join us whether an experienced parrot keeper, breeder, hobbyist, one-bird owner or researching parrots as a possible addition to your life

Posted Image

i would say they are to old to be rung now, unless you use split rings but personally i think they are dangerous they can be caught on wire etc, with fatal consequences

I was a little worried about that. What are the distinctions in the size of the rings? Would a ring size up cause even worse problems than a steel split ring? Also would the fact that they had to be hand-reared (parents didn't feed them for 4 days) have an impact on size/development to allow the fitting of an appropriately-sized ring? Or is it simply a case of purchasing the appropriate size and hoping for the best?

Thanks again!

Orlando

the rings are sized to be the most suitable fit for the species, putting a larger ring on may cause discomfort for them later in life, if its too loose they may end up fiddling with it trying to get them off or worst still getting something caught up in it

most chicks are rung 14-18 days[i have to ring my galahs at 12 days as they grow at a phenominal rate] i agree with alan its probably too late, the right size is 8.5mm.

Okay, thanks for the advice.

I had a bad feeling it might be too late. Go figure that in keeping (not actively breeding) cockatiels I've never seen fit to ring the chicks, and now I find myself in need I leave it too late :P Anyway, thanks.

I'll try with the rings, but on a related note, is there any database of you can register a micro-chipped bird that can enable one to provide assurance to a prospective buyer that the chicks are indeed bred in the UK? Schemes like pedigrees? Although my breeding pair of white-fronts are rung, I can't be entirely certain they were bred in the UK - or that they are unrelated :( That's a mild concern of mine that they may well be brother and sister, since this is the first year they've actually hatched the eggs laid.

Orlando

if your parent birds are close rung and are indeed from the same nest chances are the rings would have the same lettering with very close numbers if not consecutive numbers

True enough. Until just the other week though I hadn't been too concerned so never made a thorough check on their rings or any numbers they might have since I never bought them specifically as a breeding pair. Actually since the rings are on the right foot for male/female identification (not that it's strictly necessary for white-fronts), it has left me with this other related question: how can one tell at such a young age if one is male or female so you can put the ring on the right foot? Their feathers haven't even sprouted from the sheaths yet to even tell what colour they are (they sooo look like grey to me and others that it's become a bit of a joke in the family, about the parents being cuckolded and the eggs being grey cockatiel eggs ;)

Closed rings are usually put on whichever leg the breeder chooses and do not denote sex.

One breeder of rare parrots here told me that he close-rung both legs as he could then cut off the incorrect ring once the bird was older and had been sexed.

Not sure if you may find any of this thread at all useful? ....

CLOSED RING YEAR COLOURS, WHICH LEG FOR SEXING RINGS ETC©:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/7230-closed-ring-year-colours-which-leg-for-sexing-rings-etc/

(from the INFORMATION TOPICS© section: https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/22-parrot-link-information-topics/)

Thanks! I admit I hadn't ever wondered about that particular question until recently. Also that's a star idea about putting rings on both legs and cutting one off.

I have one other question though too, although not specifically related to my present quandary. If a closed ring was fitted to a bird and sexed later, are there ways/means to modify a ring to assist in identification purposes? I was thinking of non-toxic enamel paint but I'd still worry about its toxicity and it being chipped off.

Orlando

I have never heard of anyone successfully modifying a ring - most rings wear and lose their colour/depth of markings and I doubt any paint would resist an insistent parroty beak for long.

I don't know if the rings used by Mr A Greenwood (as mentioned in the link I gave above) are available in other sizes and so could be put on in the same way as a split ring at a later date?

I used strong stainless steel split rings with my telephone number on any rescues that came here but I do take my time applying them to ensure the two ends meet thoroughly and so minimize the risk of a bird getting a leg caught by the gap (as in cage bars, rope threads etc)