Sign in to follow this  
bertie's_mum

coffee, swearing and parrots

This morning I was having my first cup of coffee and somehow I managed to knock the whole cup over right into my lap while it was still very hot. Cue me jumping up with lots of drama trying to get my jeans off!

Unfortunately, I was so shocked that I said "Oh S**t!* very loudly.

How likely is Bertie the CAG to repeat this considering it was just a one off?

I'm gonna be so annoyed with myself if he chooses to repeat it because we're always so, so careful not to swear in front of him.

Allie

Unfortunately parrots do love to pick up and mimic the words we say with most emotion - and these do tend to be swear words. :oops:

Best thing to do I have found is try your best not to show any reaction to them when they swear - nothing at all. Just ignore it totally. Hopefully if the word gets no reaction they will, perhaps, tire of saying it though it may well pop up now and again.

Don't be annoyed with yourself Allie - I'm sure we've all said something rather naughty in front of the parrots before and then thought - Oh dear, hope they don't pick THAT up! I know I have. :lol:

Just read your post properly - my cup of tea is kicking in now - and realise he's not actually said it, you did.

If it was just a one off I'd say your pretty safe he won't pick it up. If parrots picked up things they'd heard just once well we'd all be chatted to death! LOL

Phew - that's ok then. Let's hope it doesn't come out at an innappropriate moment. I was worried because I know they are much more likely to pick words up that are said with much drama and this defiitely was!

Allie

hmm i once tryed that from my grey shouting b.....ch to which now all we get is which b.......ch lol got past trying with her i just tell everyone she has been to sea not that i get believed

Don't worry bertie's mum, I thought maybe your bird had learned to say give me the darn coffee or something, from your title :) :wink:

LAM reply sums it all up. :)

I hope you did not get burned.

Thanks guys,

Hehe, he is always after my coffee but he doesn't get any despite his best efforts!

It was really hot and my legs were red, I wanted to jump in the shower but at the precise moment it happened the plumber arrived and there was a mad dash to get my jeans off and something else on so that I could answer the door!

Thankfully all ok now!

Allie

I wanted to jump in the shower but at the precise moment it happened the plumber arrived and there was a mad dash to get my jeans off and something else on so that I could answer the door!

:oops: Could have been embarrassing :wink: :oops: :)

Glad you were not burned.

Guest Gwydhyel

Wait until next time you have a cup of coffee in your hands - then you will know!

I hope you are OK now.