Sign in to follow this  
han

Couple of questions re: rings and weights.

None PDD questions today thankfully for you lot, i am a little calmer about it now.

I weighed my parrots last night. Bailey my Senegal weighed 154 grams, and Ecco my CAG weighed 530 grams.

Are those weights ok? Are they under weight at all?

Also, are there any identity rings that can be put on parrots legs at an older age? Or can it only be done when they are babies? The only reason i ask is because Ecco doesn't have an identity ring, and i know they can be removed, but i don't like the thought of microchipping the birds from what i have read about it.

Just one other quick question, should i see their crops fill up at all when they eat? Because i never do... :?:

Thanks in advance :)

Morning Han

I've been searching and found

SENEGAL PARROT

Weight Message

http://www.wingscc.com/aps/seneg-msg.htm

Shows the average weight of their senegals.

African greys can be anywhere from 400g to 650g depending on their stature seem to remember.

Yup - ID rings can be put on an older parrot. These are split rings and need the correct pliers to put them on.

Their is an info topic lurking somewhere - I'll go and dig it out.:)

You can put a split ID ring on a parrot, but anyone who stole the bird, or found it and wanted to keep it, could easily remove it. Microchipping is permanent.

Thanks for the replies and topics.

What i don't like about the microchip is that it bleeds and needs to be superglued over.

When i had my kitten microchipped it didn't bleed at all. Why is there a difference?

I would think cats have much looser skin than parrots and also more fat therefore the chip will slip under the skin much easier.

You wouldnt necessarily see the crop become full unless they really stuffed themselves, but you can often feel the seed in it after they have eaten if you want to try!!

Thanks for the replies and topics.

What i don't like about the microchip is that it bleeds and needs to be superglued over.

When i had my kitten microchipped it didn't bleed at all. Why is there a difference?

Durring my time working in the NHS I must have given a few thousand injections , very few bled but a few did ! The same applies to birds ----- a bit back I had to give one of mine a daily course of injections over a couple of weeks and yes most times there was no bleeding but a couple of times I managed to catch a blood vessel :( .

the other factor is the size of the needle used to insert the chip is, comparatively larger to a bird than it is to a cat ! Also the mamalian skin has greater depth to it than that of a bird which allows it to close puncture wounds more readily