Sign in to follow this  
rubytoo

Just discovered..Pea Shoots

:lol:

Shopped on Friday, and our local Walmart in the salad section, had bags of Pea shoots.

They are nice, tasty like peas, and the birds like them. :D

I grabbed a bag as I thought it was the watercress, then realized Watercress does not begin with P :lol:

Just thought it was something to look out for if anyone had not already seen/tried them.

Edit;

A link with some basic details. some nutritional values, not extensive. But apparently high in vit A:)

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/news/story.php?S_No=637&storyType=garde

These are the new big thing for 'Cheffy' types

lol Net, and a new big thing for birdy types :lol::lol:

Yours should like them too then Sueb.

I might have a go at growing some. From what i gather you can use any type of edible garden pea.

I expect seed catalogues that sell veggie seeds etc, will have them too. "special" ones...lol

They were 97p for a bag, so comparable with the other bags of "greens" you get from the supermarket.

I saw this thread yesterday morning so had a hunt in the supermarket last night for some dried peas to try sprouting. Could only find marrowfat peas, 500g for 59p, currently soaking so will post back with results in a couple of days time. Haven't a clue if they'll "work" or not but worth a try :lol:.

Marrowfat peas won't sprout I don't think. They are treated for cooking. The ones which might sprout are the ones they sell which are usually next to things like dried kidney beans etc

Marrowfat peas won't sprout I don't think. They are treated for cooking. The ones which might sprout are the ones they sell which are usually next to things like dried kidney beans etc

Hi Net

I got them from beside the dried beans, lentils, broth mixes etc. I've chucked the plastic bag out now, but think they are by Great Scot. Is the treatment they get what makes them go "mushy" a la mushy peas? I've never cooked with them before :oops:.

I'll watch and see what happens :).

I haven't a clue about marrow fat peas, and if they will sprout. But you can let us know. :)

I thought that mushy peas are just marrowfat peas cooked...

And marrow fat are just varieties of fatter big peas.

The pea shoots I got are I think grown in soil.

Grown as a crop like small salad leaves.

As opposed to sprouting as in water/jar, sieve, soaked.

Sorry for any confusion.

Was wondering what to do for tea tomorrow, all this talk about beans and peas means it looks like a tasy salad for me and the parrot the rest of the family can have beans on toast.

Lol

:lol::lol:

Oh Rubytoo - sorry for going off on a sprouting tangent. That'll teach me for scan-reading your link the first time round :oops: :oops:.

Anyway, big news - I have teeny-weeny marrowfat pea sprouts this afternoon :D. Perhaps I should plant some and see what happens :?:

No worries, lol. I love sprouting. And now we know thanks to you, that you can sprout marrow fat peas.

Good luck with planting them too, I was lazy and bought another bag of the shoots today :oops: Did not even think about buying a bag of peas to grow.

But they are nice :lol:

Glad they've sprouted! But these will be like sprouted seeds - the ones in bags are baby plants (for want of a better term). So if you wanted those you'd need to buy seeds and grow tiny plants - I think!

I bought a box of dried peas, the brand is Leo, 48p for 200g.

So Laura's are a better buy.

I put a few in like Laura did to see if they would sprout, and they did.

So today after a soaking and the beginning of shoots I have placed some in a pot of compost.

Yours coming up yet Laura?

(Net if you are still following keep breathing for now :) )

The peas are just dried, nothing added as far as I can tell from the box.

Within the box was also a soaking tablet (wrapped) and a mesh pea bag....you apparently use it for cooking the peas or something...... :shock: :lol: To keep them all together....sorry i find it funny :oops: :lol:

Hi there

I let mine sprout (just to see how big they'd get :shock:) until Friday, then I planted them. Have to say these were the longest sprouts I've ever managed :lol:. Also tried planting some of the dried ones with no soaking just to see if they'd do anything. The pre-soaked ones are now about an inch in height through the compost. Interestingly, the un-soaked ones are catching up at about 1/2 inch.

How "long" are the ones you bought in the supermarket??

I have a cupboard in my kitchen full of half-packets of dried "things", this could be the start of something :roll: :P

Ps Breathe out Net...

Ohh well done you!

Interesting that the "dried" ones you planted are catching up to the soaked ones.

How "long" are the ones you bought in the supermarket??

They are on average 4 inches or 10cms.

Are you going to pinch out the first tip?

I see some in the bag have more than one straight stem some are two.

If we pinch them out a couple of times they will need support sticks.

...lol We...mine are only just planted.

Anything you can sprout can be grown on further. But some things I would guess are harder to grow if they come from hotter places, should make shoots though, we aren't looking for finished crops...lol.

You can apparently, even do nuts, though I have never tried.

Sorry waffling thinking out loud...

:lol::lol: What are we like? It's good fun though :wink:

The top leaf hasn't quite unfurled so haven't pinched out yet. Will give it a go when they form properly. Amazing that a dried-up pea destined for a pan of soup a week ago is now a living plant - ah, the wonders of nature...

Found an un-opened bag of black beans (bought during one of my healthy-eating spells), so some of those are soaking now :lol:. Anyone know if they are parrot safe :?:

Good luck, and keep us up-dated.

I was thinking after i posted "You can do anything"... but yes need to check things like actual bean leaves, that was one I wondered about after posting :oops:

Bean sprouts are okay we know, but the leafy plants?

Sorry busy now must dash, but try landofvos? (eclectus site)has a big sction on foods

We can have a pea shoot race...roflmao :lol:

I have not been able to find the pea shoots anywhere around here, we have some growing in the garden though but they are for the pea pods which Charlie loves.

Sueb the shops like waitrose, tesco's do them and I got mine in walmart..so they have filtered "down" :lol:

The section where the pre- prepared bags of salads and watercress are.

Will you have a taste of some older leaves for us please, and see if they are still nice or not?

:)

I have been looking and looking trying to find baby bean plants like blackeyed peas and chickpeas... I wonder if they aren't grown because they aren't tasty and sweet like pea shoots. Or only tasty as sprouts. Maybe I have been looking in the wrong places..sigh...

I discovered what Net was saying about them , lol we have been growing fashionable micro leaves for ages for the birds lol.