Sign in to follow this  
spit

one or two?

Hi, i am due to get an CAG in a few weeks and was wondering if it would be better getting two instead of the one. I work two days a week and i am worried that the bird will get lonely, i will leave a radio on and have toys for it. Also how big a cage will i need for two?

I only have one CAG and he is perfectly happy but he does have 2 cockatiels and 2 budgies to keep him company though not in the same cage we leave him for a few hours whilst we are at work with no problems with toys and a radio on

I don't have any birds so he would only have himself and a couple of rabbits for company when i out. I just worry if my work patterns change and he on his own for longer he might not cope. From what i have read it can be quite difficult to introduce a second bird later on, so was wondering if it would be easier to start with two.

i had my cag on his own for probably eighteen months before we got any more, do you want two birds, would you be getting them from the same person at the same time, as far as im aware there is no guarantee that two birds will ever get along im not sure if this is only if they are not together from the start, you need to talk to some of the more experienced members here

good luck

Yes they would be coming from the same person, they are together at the moment. I realise it will be twice the mess and food but as long as the birds are happy that is my main concern. If anyone else has any advice that would be great. Thanks for your replies freddie

I would always go for two :D Are they babies? If so, please keep in mind that although they are together now, they may begin squabbling as they start maturing, so you may need to seperate them for a while. My two greys were reared together and had a big fall out when they were about 5 months old, to the extent that we had to put them in seperate cages. Fortunately they sorted themselves out within a few months and decided to move back in together :wink: Although they occasionally have an argument, on the whole they are best friends and spend all day everyday playing/eating/sleeping/preening together and I wouldn't have it any other way :wink:

Thanks for all your replies, i'm more confused as ever now lol. I will talk to the breeder and see what he thinks, my main concern is if i have to separate i will be pushed for space for two cages and i don't think the other half will be happy with cages all over the place. Also as they are siblings i don't want them breeding and they haven't been sexed yet so i don't know for sure. What size cage would i need for two? They will be out of the cage most of the time but as i said there will be two days of the week where i will be working.