Sign in to follow this  
alan56

black cockatiels

hi first post and would like to know if you can get black cockatiels as i have been offered 2 now when i was told they were black i said yes and i am supposed to be picking them up on thursday has any other member heard or seen of black cockatiels

regards alan

Posted Image

to the Parroty Place, Alan56. Loads to share, learn and enjoy Posted Image

You'll notice many of us have a photobucket link under our posts - Below is an easy how-to on setting pics and/or vids up to share with us all:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/index.php?topic=26851.0

Here's our section of Information Topics©:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/22-parrot-link-information-topics/

Also a variety of topics you may like to wander through:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/6216-welcome-info-pack%c2%a9/

Please, feel free to ask anything you would like more info about or hear other's experiences of. We are proud of our friendliness and sense of community and welcome all who join us whether an experienced parrot keeper, breeder, hobbyist, one-bird owner or researching parrots as a possible addition to your life

Posted Image

I did a Google search on black cockatiels and discovered two things ....

~ several entries which said black cockatiel actually showed pictures of black Cockatoos like the Palm Cockatoos

~ I did find several pictures labelled black cockatiels but the photos just showed the 'usual' grey birds (admittedly a shade darker than some I've seen but nowhere near a true black)

Not heard or seen a "black " Cockateil but some white face birds can be very dark so much so that I do have a White face cock who is charcoal , and I suppose some would call him black although in reality he is a dark grey !

ok then next question if they are charcoal or black then how much are the

babies worth in todays market i know how much the big birds are worth but no idea on parakeets

regards alan

Not heard or seen a "black " Cockateil but some white face birds can be very dark so much so that I do have a White face cock who is charcoal , and I suppose some would call him black although in reality he is a dark grey !

I agree - I have a whiteface cock who is so dark he looks almost black, but he is definately grey. With regards to price - same as other cockatiels. If they are aviary bred then you would be looking at about £12 - £15 but if they are handreared you can expect to pay about £50 -£65. I think that lutino's are slightly more expensive and I would expect that you would pay a bit more for a pure albino bird as they are quite rare.

The babies from a dark gray bird are likely to be the same as any cockateil babies (born normals) so unless you want a darker cockateil to enjoy his/her colour and are happy to pay extra :lol: , I can see no reason to pay extra for one.....................unless a breeder has managed to breed "real" black birds that are breeding black offspring :shock: and then I would want to see parents and babies to be sure this was in fact true :wink:

well all i can say is sorry what a let down the guy brings out 2 grey birds and says they are black i know i am colourblind i think that guy was just blind all i can say is sorry to all waiting for pics

regards alan

well all i can say is sorry what a let down the guy brings out 2 grey birds and says they are black i know i am colourblind i think that guy was just blind all i can say is sorry to all waiting for pics

regards alan

Alternatively the seller could be a member of the minority of keepers /breeders who have little or no knowledge of the birds they keep and just give them any name they can conjure up that may attract some interest in them ! :shock:

I dont think that cockatiels are capable of producing the necessary amounts of melanin to be black. Could change with newer mutation strains though if the mutations keep changing and become more unstable creating an over production of melanin but will more likely be a dark grey and not a pure black or overall mlack e.g black mutations of black leopards

I think the correct name for these so called "black" Cockatiels is "Charcoal" I've seen several in the flesh there a very dull & drab

looking bird ! (in my opinion)