Sign in to follow this  
bql83i

Parrotlet advice

Hi, I've a 14mth old hen celestial parrotlet Jazz. She seems to think she's a battery hen and lays eggs every couple of months. At first is was straight to the avian vet but now I'm confident she won't become egg bound. She's bright eyed, bushy tailed and given all things recommended for good health. She plays with me, cuddles me and every now and then BITES me just to remind me who's boss!

My dilemma. She's on her own more often now as work commitments have increased and I was wondering how easy would it be to introduce another bird, p'let of course.

Would two hens get on? Or should I get her a boyfriend and remove any resulting eggs? If introducing a different bird would a weaned baby be okay and if not where can I get a bird of a similar age?

Would I completely lose the incredible bond I have with her altogether (obviously her wellfare being paramount over my selfish need for love).

All advice/suggestions gratefully received. I look forward to hearing from you.

Hi, I've a 14mth old hen celestial parrotlet Jazz. She seems to think she's a battery hen and lays eggs every couple of months. At first is was straight to the avian vet but now I'm confident she won't become egg bound. She's bright eyed, bushy tailed and given all things recommended for good health. She plays with me, cuddles me and every now and then BITES me just to remind me who's boss!

My dilemma. She's on her own more often now as work commitments have increased and I was wondering how easy would it be to introduce another bird, p'let of course.

Would two hens get on? Or should I get her a boyfriend and remove any resulting eggs? If introducing a different bird would a weaned baby be okay and if not where can I get a bird of a similar age?

Would I completely lose the incredible bond I have with her altogether (obviously her wellfare being paramount over my selfish need for love).

All advice/suggestions gratefully received. I look forward to hearing from you.

If you`ve got a serial egg layer getting her a girlfriend will almost certainly not solve that problem ,she needs a mate & a nestbox ! As to the age of the male he needs to be at least 6 months old but older would be better !

As to where you would get him from , there are a few breeders on this site have you looked in the breeders directory ? Also when loking for birds or accessories it`s always a good idea to give some indication of your location e.g South East England ,as it gives people an idea as to which direction to look .

As to interaction with your bird(s) they and especially Parrotlets are all individuals with their own personalities and how they are with you will vary . Of course if you make up a pair they will want time together ,and each pair is different with some more tightly bonded than others , but provided you spend time with them they should still interact with you .

Housing 2 parrotlets together should not be a problem provided they accept each other , if not the introductions need to be done slowly ! At this point a reminder that whilest they can be cute and cuddly they can be holy terrors is in order . In fact one of my descritions for them is baby pitbulls with wings , and they are quite capable of taking on much larger birds ! The usual method of introducing 2 parrots is in separate cages , but as you give no indication of the size/type of cage your little girl has perhaps I should suggest that a large double breeding cage would be appropiate in case your wondering have a look at this

http://birdcages.co.uk/breeding_cages.shtml

using one of those would mean you could keep the 2 separately if necessarry , or even isolate the young if/when you get any !

Hi Stormbird, If I end up getting a male he is going to be called Brad (as in PITT) sorry couldn't resist!

Jazz's present cage is big enough to house two comfortably. I hadn't thought of a breeding cage, so definately food for thought. I have a friend who can lend me a cage for introduction purposes should I decide to go ahead.

My main concern with a mating pair, is the possibility of those wonderfully ugly babies and where do I rehome them? My cabbage patch of a garden isn't big enough for an aviary and would the offspring be considered as 'new blood' for breeding. Jazz has a hatch certificate and leg ring as is registered with the Parrot Society through her breeders, but as a MALE! This leaves me with obvious doubts about the validity of her documents and her breeders record keeping. I had the same problem with my first budgie Joey 40 years ago! She was a prolific layer as well.

If they have young how many clutches would they raise per year? And I suppose I can remove most of the eggs leaving two for the parents. If fertile great, if not no doubt they'll keep trying.

I don't want to raise young irresponsibly but at the same time I want whats best for my pal. Catch 22?

I live in Oxfordshire by the way.

Jazz has a hatch certificate and leg ring as is registered with the Parrot Society through her breeders, but as a MALE! This leaves me with obvious doubts about the validity of her documents and her breeders record keeping

#-o I despair parrotlets are fairly easy to sex in the nest box infact I can sex normals & blues even before they are in full plumage as the blue rump of the males is a dead give away :wink: and unlike some other birds parrotlets don`t have a juvenial plumage as such !

As to having an aviary parrotlets due to the pugnacious behaviour are best kept in cages one pair to a cage ! As to number of clutches 2-3 per year is the norm but if they try for more, removing or blocking up the entrance to the nest box should not cause a problem .

As to the disposal of young think that you should find plenty of customers to the SE of you because unless the situation has changed there has been a shortage of breeders in the South /SE

As to getting a male ? ---------- eer show @ Stafford this coming Sunday might be a good source !

Stormbird, Jazz is a pastel blue with a blue rump! However, she doesn't have the blue flashes on the leading edge of the wing which I understand is also is a sex indication. Oh well, lesson learned!

Thanks for your advice, it has been very helpful.

I've never been to Stafford so this gives me a great excuse to visit.

Take care

Jan

Stormbird, Jazz is a pastel blue with a blue rump! However, she doesn't have the blue flashes on the leading edge of the wing which I understand is also is a sex indication. Oh well, lesson learned!

Thanks for your advice, it has been very helpful.

I've never been to Stafford so this gives me a great excuse to visit.

Take care

Jan

the best indicator of a male is the rump which even in the pastel is a darker blue :wink: It`s onlt the other colour mutation e.g. lutino ,cremino ,etc that are more difficult to sex

as to what you`ve got I`m ? confused or ? isit you that is confused about what colour your hen is ? it could be that your confused as to how dark the rump is in the male usually it is royal blue and distinct from the rest of the back which in pastel blue hens may be a darker blue than the wings but that colour will be continuous up to the neck and possibly on to the head if your not sure have a look in my photo bucket at Ice , the colour of his wing flash is the same colour as his rump was and that`s the sort of colour your bird should have if she was a male !