Sign in to follow this  
freda deniau

bathing grey?

Hi anyone, Babo our African Grey has now decided he wants to have a bath but does so or tries to in his drinking bowl, which is attached to the side of his cage with his food, poor thing he does try, have placed a bigger bowl with more water in it on the floor of the cage but he doesn't go down there much even if he drops a goody he doesn't retrieve it, any ideas how I can help him out?

freda

Here's some reading on bathing/spraying:

BATHING/SPRAYING YOUR PARROT©:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/6342-bathingspraying-your-parrot/

(from the INFORMATION TOPICS© section:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/22-parrot-link-information-topics/)

Why not try running the vacuum cleaner as many birds seem to think it mimics a thunderstorm and have a bath? (take out the water bowl when you put the bigger bowl in)

Charley my sennie perfers his water bowl like u i did put bowl at the bottom of his cage, he werent impressed. He dont like the mist bottle so i just leave him to it and fill his water bowl about 4 times till he had enough. the other two i spray with the bottle. then they go to have a dunk in their water bowls.

Izzy loves to bath in her water bowl too, but ignores any other bowls of water placed in her cage for her.

She hates to be sprayed, but if the weather is going to be hot I give her a quick mist dispite her protests.

Charlie used to hate being sprayed, Mark suspects his previous owner didn't spray him because he used to make such a fuss and back away!

He still kind of does a 'Oh no, again? Just get it over and done with' kind of thing when he sees the spray bottle but at least he stays still now rather than racing all over the cage, inside and out!

It's weird though, he never flies away to escape the spray.

Merlin has a shower every morning but when he does not think he is clean enough straight to his drink water bowl and dips himself in it.

Not only does he gets wet but everything else around him.

When he has finished he always looks so proud of himself.

susie

Skinny and Merlin bathe in the dog bowl on the window sill and love getting soaked :P

Mabel hates getting soaked but this bathe in her water dish :roll:

Charley just plain hates water, but has to put up with it :?

Charlie OWA loves being sprayed and puts his wings out so I can spray his wing pits. Sombra CAG hates showers and tries to hide on the bottom of his cage. He loves bathing in his water bowl though usually when I'm hoovering up after cleaning his cage out!

Would http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_bowls_feeders/stainless_steel_bowls/36994 (the bigger one) be suitable for a CAG to bath in? I know the bird may decide he doesn't like it but would it make a suitable bath?

I'll also be trying the kitchen sink but would quite like Mojo to have somewhere to have a bath in the lounge too when he's out of the cage.