Sign in to follow this  
caron-j

Senegal Injured Nare

Dylan (CAG) and Mango (Senegal) loathe eachother with a vengeance and I never allow them out in the same room. However, this afternoon Dylan managed to get onto Mango's cage and they had a spat through the bars. I rushed straight over to separate them but Dyl had managed to get a good bite to the top of Mango's beak and has crushed/cut his left nare and top mandible. It happened so quickly and I feel dreadful for not getting there quicker:cry:

I've called the vet and he's not on duty till 11am in the morning so have put some antiseptic/anaesthetic cream on his wound but concerned that as anything i put on to stem the bleeding is going to be breathed into his nasal passage. He's sneezing intermittently so it seems the blood is running in there too. He's sitting in a warm, quiet and dark box at the moment and looking very sorry for himself :cry: :cry:

sounds as if he`s breathing OK but the priority is to stop the bleeding if it`s not already stopped . in this instance cornflower is not advisable . the best thing to use is potassium permanganate applied using a moistened cotton bud !

if your not sureand want to talk to someone pm me your number

Thanks Stormbird. The bleeding would appear to have stemmed now I have him quietened down. The vet called back to say there's not a lot he can do about the injury but I'm taking him over tomorrow to get some Baytril to ward off any infection. Think I'll need to get some potassium permanganate for the first aid box. Will the vets sell it?

Thanks Stormbird. The bleeding would appear to have stemmed now I have him quietened down. The vet called back to say there's not a lot he can do about the injury but I'm taking him over tomorrow to get some Baytril to ward off any infection. Think I'll need to get some potassium permanganate for the first aid box. Will the vets sell it?

you should be able to get it from a chemists but you`ll probably have to ask ,for it best to try Boots or Mason Proctors if your near to one of those , and it`s the crystals you want a 25 gram tub should last you forever :wink:

Is it largish purple colour crystals? My friend has some of that but we were unsure it was the right stuff as couldn't think how to apply it!

it is purple crystals but they should be only small , if your freinds is large it probably means it has got damp and clumped into large lumps ! You only need to use a very small amount about 6 sugar sized crystals is enough to mix litre as an antiseptic , for bleeding it`s best used neat on the end of a moistened cotton bud and only use a very small amount . And be carefull using it as the neat crystals can burn so only minimal contact to the bleeding points (that should be sufficient ) ! If you get any on your hands wash off immediately ----- you may get the odd browm mark on your skin if you do but they are nothing to worry about !

Both Mango and Dylan are fine with all the other birds, but just have this mutual morbid hatred for one another for some bizarre reason. I never, ever allow them out together as they are so extremely aggressive towards eachother.

Mango is settled for the night beside me and the poor little man is looking very sore but hopefully going to be ok.

:D I'm so relieved that Mango is looking loads better this morning. He's still a bit shaken and nervous but been having lots of cuddles and chatting away, telling me a right story about it (he's very talkative for a Senegal.)

Taking him over to the vet later this morning for a check over and some meds for any infection but looks like he's going to be ok thank goodness :D